fishing for a marketing strategy - Posted by Benjy

Posted by randyOH on September 06, 2003 at 13:03:31:

What section of the paper did you run the ad in? Homes for sale? Homes wanted?

fishing for a marketing strategy - Posted by Benjy

Posted by Benjy on September 05, 2003 at 12:31:47:

what I want-
I’m trying to get my phone to ring with motivated sellers (how cliche!), and I need some specific help.
My immediate goal is to do some deals and raise a cash war chest through options, flipping, and assigning my deals.

how I think I can get there-
What I want to do is buy/rent/get a mailing list at this point and then send mail (letters, postcards…). I think what I’d like to do is tell someone what part of town I want, what kinds of people (renters, certain income, “geo-demographical” stuff) I want so I can get their addresses. And this is where I need help, where do I get such a targeted list: title companies? database owners, list owners, USPS?

I don’t have a lot of real-deal experience: in depth L/O coursework, once over on Carleton Sheets’ stuff, and lots of lurking on this site.
But, I’ve got my toes in the water, I’m ready to kick it up a notch, and want to believe the philosophy that he who places the ad and he who receives phone call gets the better deal.

I searched archives, but didn’t find enough specifically about this.

Other ideas (beyond targeted mailings) are also welcome.
I have a FT job and, this month, am caring for my 3yr old son outside of weekday daycare while mommy’s on travel, but I’ve committed to a specific goal by end of next month, and this is on the critical path. (read: no time to drive around, distribute flyers, write down addresses, and make calls all day - but I can make time to receive calls!)

Re: fishing for a marketing strategy - Posted by Tom PA

Posted by Tom PA on September 06, 2003 at 07:55:26:

Follow the link that rob_ca gave you. It will get you started.

I recently moved from IL to PA and have spent the better part of a year getting my consulting business rolling. Now that it is on-track I have started investing time back in Real Estate. I recently ran a $14 ad in a local free paper. (I have never been a big Bandit Sign proponent). That one ad has produced an 80K FMV property, free and clear, for a little under 60K purchase price.

So you see, it doesn’t take a lot to get moving. Just get your number and message out there.

And since I know some one will ask, the Ad read:

Wanted! 3+Bedroom nice house.
I WILL BUY YOUR HOUSE
xxx-xxx-xxxx

no magic there.

Re: fishing for a marketing strategy - Posted by rob_ca

Posted by rob_ca on September 05, 2003 at 18:03:46:

Benjy,

Take a read of the following article: http://www.creonline.com/articles/art-208.html

I am in a similiar situation as you… let me know where you’re located.

Good luck,
Rob

Question for you - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on September 06, 2003 at 12:13:04:

Tom,
What section of the paper did you run the ad in? Also why did the seller let it go so cheap? If it was worth 80k, he could have sold it through a realtor and netted 72k.
Thanks,
Randy

Re: Question for you - Posted by Tom PA

Posted by Tom PA on September 06, 2003 at 13:03:22:

Oh yeah, I ran it in the RE Wanted section.

Re: Question for you - Posted by Tom PA

Posted by Tom PA on September 06, 2003 at 12:46:23:

She and her husband moved into the place 47 years ago when they got married. They were the first and only owners of the home. Her husband passed away 3 years ago. She started living with her daughter shortly there after and over time basicly moved in with her.
The house has pretty much been vacant for 3 years. I am getting everything in the house also. Some of it’s good, some not.

The reason for the price? She doesn’t want to deal with the going back and cleaning out the place. All of her husbands clothes and belongings are still there. Of course, I am taking care of all of that for her.