-----FL LICENSE ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE------ - Posted by Jason

Posted by CarolFL on June 21, 1999 at 17:27:26:

By the time you get either of the other licences you could have had a dozen or more deals under your belt, and would have the confidence to find the appraiser and realtors to work with you! This just seems to me to be counter productive to your ultimate goal.
my 02
Carol

-----FL LICENSE ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE------ - Posted by Jason

Posted by Jason on June 21, 1999 at 24:41:28:

Investors,

Its seems to me that having a active license can count againist you. From my understanding Fl. disclosure laws can get you in to some trouble if you are not careful. 1st of all you must disclose that you are licensed, even for personal investing. If someone were to file a complaint, and you were found guilty of wrong doing you could be heavily fined.

My question is, has anyone had a complaint filed againist them or been fined? Is it worth it to get my license or will I be better off with out it?

Re: -----FL LICENSE ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE------ - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on June 21, 1999 at 05:40:28:

No doubt you will get a response from some licenced folks in FL, but we have determined NOT to go that route for the reason you mentioned and others. We would rather work with a couple of good brokers.

What would be the up sides? The commission, or rather the commission split? Frankly, except of commercial properties, a 25% spit of 6% on a 20-70k purchase isn’t worth the hassle.

The info on “hot” properties? Maybe, but I find that even from one office to the next there is a lack of cooperation amongst brokers, so I likely would not see them anyway.

We have access to MLS thru a broker, and that is the only reason I can see for getting a licence.
my 02 cts
Carol

Re: -----Appraiser’s license an alternative?------ - Posted by John

Posted by John on June 21, 1999 at 13:31:59:

Would obtaining an appraiser’s license permit access to MLS without the disadvantages that come with becoming an agent? Also, wouldn’t the certification process for becoming an appraiser teach you in-depth how to calculate comps in your area, and isn’t that more important than many of the subjects covered in the agent course and exam?
I am a beginning RE investor and was just wondering if the appraiser route might be an alternative way to gain important knowledge and ongoing access to the MLS - I’ve heard others say it’s difficult when you’re starting out to find an agent willing to work with you consistently while you’re learning the business and not generating a lot of commissions for the agent.

Re: -----Appraiser’s license an alternative?------ - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on June 21, 1999 at 20:35:43:

Did I just get REALLY lucky or what? My realtor gives me a copy of the MLS book EVERY week and will run comps for me on any property that I ask. Even the FSBO’s that she will not get a commission on. :slight_smile:

WilliamGA