Flat Roofed Houses Versus Pitched Roof??? - Posted by Katrina

Posted by CarolFL on June 16, 1999 at 18:16:21:

They’ll tell you “there is no such thing as a FLAT roof!”
lol
Carol

Flat Roofed Houses Versus Pitched Roof??? - Posted by Katrina

Posted by Katrina on June 14, 1999 at 19:30:13:

Can anyone tell me if a flat roofed house affects the value of a property. Recently I bought a fixer home with a flat roof. I can put a pitched roof on for 5K. Is it worth it? How much more will it sell for? Half the houses in the neighborhood have been converted to pitched.

Re: Flat Roofed Houses Versus Pitched Roof??? - Posted by ArieO

Posted by ArieO on June 15, 1999 at 14:12:26:

Don’t buy Flat Roofed houses. The people you sell too will become virtual tenants. What with lenders requiring roof certs. And investors getting cheap ones. And cheap roofers going out of business. You will end up with the new owner coming to you to honor the roof cert, because the roof will leak, period. Of course you can explain that you assigned the cert and to buzz off, and then you can take the call from his attorney…

Arie O

Re: Flat Roofed Houses Versus Pitched Roof??? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on June 14, 1999 at 22:50:04:

Katrina,
I cannot tell you how the “flat roof” vs “pitched roof” affects the value, but dealing with a flat roof used to be tough. They have a tendency to leak and cause problems down the road. So, if your gonna buy and hold, then think about it, otherwidse???

Recently we found a company that can apply a “membrane” type of material that is one piece, and does not leak. It is gaurunteed for 20 years, and looks alright too. (They simply rolled it out on the roof, and melted it down with a large torch)
The cost was only a few hundred bucks, (not for the whole house, just the “flat roof portion”) and it was completed in a couple of hours.
We sold the home without a problem, and did not even have one comment on the flat roof.
The only person who ever mentioned the roof at all, was me to the original seller. ("Mr. Seller, that flat roof gives me some cause for concern?!?! LOL!)

Good luck, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…(I mean the roof),
Jim IL

Flat roofs are not a big deal! - Posted by Bob MD

Posted by Bob MD on June 16, 1999 at 08:35:54:

Arie:

In our area almost all the city row houses have flat roofs. FHA requires a roof cert. but they only cost about $75. If the roof needs coating or reroofed it is not an expensive proposition. A recoat is only about $250 and a complete reroof is about $650. A flat roof needs to be recoated about every three years. Buyers don’t give flat roofs a second thought around here. Why spend the money on a pitched roof if you don’t have to? Don’t call the roofers in the yellow pages though. They are much more expensive. If you see a roofer working while driving around, stop and get his card and prices.

Bob