Fleas

I recently had a tenant move out and of course they had a dog they did not tell me about nor was it allowed by the lease.

Anyhow I walked the rough the house to inspect it for damage and by the time I got 1/2 way through my legs were covered in fleas. Just great.

I went to the box store and bought bug bomb type flea cannisters. I even upgraded to the more expensive ones that say they kill for months. The usual, cheaper brand has never worked for me. Neither did the more expensive brand. Went back the next week and legs still got covered.

Not to self, don’t wear shorts on these inspections and carry bug repellant to spray legs just in case.

I went to wal-mart and couldn’t find flea killer in the section that carries stuff to kill everything from ants to rats.

I did find several options in the pet section however.

I bought 4 or 5 cans of the flea powder (16z cans) for not much more than the useless bug bombs.

My powder was the Hartz brand although I don’t know if it is any better or worse than others but I will say this… it worked!

This powder was probably intended for carpets but this doublewide is all laminate and ceramic tile. I sprinkled the entire floor space. It looked like a child got a hold of the baby powder and had a field day while mom was not looking.

I came back the next day and found no fleas seeking my legs for sanctuary. Came back a few days more and still no more fleas. I will clean this up next week (won’t be back to that property for a few more days) and see how things go but for now I am quite pleasantly surprised.

The powder also has a very nice scent which permeated the house and made it pleasant to enter. Again I believe the intention for this powder was carpet usage so it must have some kind of “carpet fresh” type scenting.

I don’t know what you folks use but this was an inexpensive and easy flea fix (so far) but keep in mind this is a vacant unit that is awaiting a section 8 tenant for the first of the month (they had to give the mandatory 30 day notice to their previous landlord). This is why I was not in any rush to clean up the powder. I have a few other repairs to make on the outside so I just decided to let the powder remain in case future flea generations spawn and decide to seek refuge on my legs. My hope is they too fall victim to the pleasant smelling flea powder.

Tony

The flea eggs

are much harder to kill. If you do nothing more, expect another round of infestation as the eggs hatch. Call the exterminator, and have him kill every living thing in the place.

fleas

I bought pesticide and a great sprayer from this company in Georgia. It was for oriental ****roaches, and the are hard to kill. you can call and chat with the owner, he has great tips for applying the chemicals

Brenda(OH)

I have bought from the same site as Brenda - I think I may have directed her there!

I have not had a flea issue since I took a vacation from buying in-park homes - but I will keep the flea powder in mind!

First time in years I have run into the flee issue as well. Caught me off guard. I believe in the past I too had to call the exterminator but man they charge an arm and a leg.

I will see how it works out and use the exterminator as a last resort.

Tony

[QUOTE=Steve–WA;881594]I have bought from the same site as Brenda - I think I may have directed her there!

I have not had a flea issue since I took a vacation from buying in-park homes - but I will keep the flea powder in mind![/QUOTE]