Fogged Double Pane Windows-Dallas Co.to replace - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by BR on August 20, 2001 at 21:35:01:

I have only encoutered aluminum and wooden framed windows so I can’t help you on the vinyl.

Fogged Double Pane Windows-Dallas Co.to replace - Posted by Travis (Dallas)

Posted by Travis (Dallas) on August 19, 2001 at 20:21:07:

Can anyone recommend someone to replace fogged double pane windows? How much should it cost? What about a sliding glass door window replacement or complete door replacement?
Thanks,
Travis

Fogged Double Pane Windows-Dallas Co.to replace - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on August 20, 2001 at 12:01:22:

Try for material at Richardson Glass or Plano Glass if you want your handy man to install the insert. Material is in the $40-60 range. There are usually local ads for people that will do labor and material. $60-100 per window depending on how many. The patio door is going to be several hundred. It may be cheaper to buy a new sliding glass door and throw away the frame.

Fogged Double Pane Windows-Dallas Co.to replace - Posted by Tom – IN

Posted by Tom – IN on August 20, 2001 at 07:07:47:

Do you know who did the windows originally? If so, this should be a warranty item.

Fogged Double Pane Windows-Dallas Co.to replace - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on August 20, 2001 at 07:00:07:

Call a glass company and tell them the seal is broken and the glass is fogged up. If they don’t do it they can tell you who does. Don’t go to home depot, they’ll sell you a replacement window. All you need is new glass. I get them done for about $40 per window.

Re: Fogged Double Pane Windows - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on August 20, 2001 at 05:54:03:

Travis:

I could recommend someone, but the travel time form Indiana to Dallas will be a killer. LOL

You may want ot go to Home Depot to the millwork desk. They handle the window and door sales, and they also offer contractors who install, provided you are purchasing the product from them. Get all your sizes together of the windows that need to be replaced, and give them a visit. They can quote the installation prices, and they will stand behind the installation job, too. Will it be the lowest price? Probably not, but a decent price, and usually fast too.

I have never used their window/door installers, but I have used their plumbers, roofers, and a few other specialties, and the work was very good, and prices acceptable.

Just the way that I view things…

JT - IN

Re: Fogged Double Pane Windows- - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on August 19, 2001 at 21:58:15:

Travis(Dallas)---------

When I had that problem in a house in Sacramento, CA, I just called all the local glass companies. I suggest you do the same. There is one company that is cheaper than the others, he has the word “discount” in his company name.

Good InvestingRon Starr*

Sliding Glass Door Replacement - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on August 20, 2001 at 11:58:29:

BR:

I wouldn’t recommend a glass company for replacement of a sliding glass door unit. A door contractor is required here, and HD is a good place to go, absent these contacts on his own. The door/window installer should/will know where to get the replacement parts for the glass panels, assuming they are replacable. And if they are, a glass company may be a good spot, but with so many vinyl windows, the moveable panels are welded as part of the window manufacturing process, and the solution is to replace the moveable sash, in it’s entirety. The poster did not say what type of windows are involved, only that they were thermopane and fogged. Why use a glass company for replacing the moveable frame and a contractor to replace the door unit, when the qualifed window/door contractor can do both ??

JT - IN

Re: Sliding Glass Door Replacement - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on August 20, 2001 at 13:26:11:

JT,

If I had a problem with a sliding glass door I would be inclined to replace it with a french door and Home Depot would be fine if they had one to fit. Sliding glass doors are problematic, ugly(IMO) and somewhat dated. The windows however are much more cost effective to get new panes installed. Labor and all is about $40-50 per window locally.

Re: Sliding Glass Door Replacement - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on August 20, 2001 at 17:43:52:

BR:

I agree on the problems associated with sliders. I have replaced a number of them with the Peachtree Atrium (French style) metal, insulated, full view door, from HD. A great solution and rather inexpensive, at about $ 349.00 for the door unit. HD is unfortunately discontinuing the stock of Peachtree doors, due to the lack of follow through on the companies part. Hopefully HD will replace them with an equally affordable solution.

On windows, I have only been able to replace glass inserts on aluminum windows. It seems that about every vinyl window that I run into with a leak, I end up replacing the frame, as well, due to the welded seams, on the moveable sash. Is there another solution when running into this type of window? I haven’t seen one, and unaware of how to repair, short of replacement of the framed glass unit.

JT - IN

New windows and doors are great. I just got some new windows from Conservation Construction of Dallas. They make my house a lot more quiet than it used to be. Out of all the things I’ve read, I never heard about this before I experienced the quiet for myself.