FOLLOWUP CALLS TO SELLERS - Posted by Paul(TX)

Posted by Glen SoCal on October 11, 2003 at 05:45:13:

Phil–

Why is it difficult to get anyone approved for unocupied mobiles in parks in the Portland area?

Thanks, Glen

FOLLOWUP CALLS TO SELLERS - Posted by Paul(TX)

Posted by Paul(TX) on October 10, 2003 at 13:57:26:

What approach do you pros use/recommend for followup calls to sellers?

I’ve spoken to some MH sellers. Their price was high, so I left them a card with a request to call me if they can do any better on the price.

No calls, sooooo obviously I need to call them … but what is the approach you use to let them know you are still interested, WITHOUT wanting to appear eager (thus giving them “advantage”)?

Thanks & Regards,
Paul(TX)

Re: Everyone is entitled… - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on October 11, 2003 at 01:11:26:

TO MY OPINION…

Beginners can really benefit from concentrating on UNOCCUPIED HOMES with For Sale By Owner signs in the window. These are usually people who have moved on with their lives, but they have this unsightly anchor dragging behind them. They want to sell the home, but the can’t get anyone approved for the park (BIG problem in Portland area), can’t find anyone interested in taking that thing off their hands. They have already been the Mobile Home Broker route for 90 days, and there is nothing like going a few rounds with a broker to motivate you to sell that home cheap!

UNOCCUPIED For Sale By Owner homes. A good place to start for beginners.

Phil Pelletier

Re: FOLLOWUP CALLS TO SELLERS - Posted by Dave Milroy

Posted by Dave Milroy on October 10, 2003 at 21:38:41:

I somewhat disagree with “Wrong assumption”. It never hurts to keep in touch with a seller. Granted, they need to be motivated, but don’t discount their emotions, (ie. pride, etc.). Humans often don’t make logical decisions when their emotions are involved, and selling their home is an emotional event. They might have to get over feeling they are being taken advantage of, etc. They view their home as just that, their home, and place a much higher value on it than what the actual marker would give. Be gentle and respectful, and they may come around. I kept in touch with a seller that was asking $18K for his home, but after not being able to sell for three months, he finally agreed to my offer of $7K. Sold in two days for $14K without having to do anything (Probably should have asked for more). I called back about every three weeks and just had a friendly chat. Once he was very happy, he had sold it to a Hindu man for $15K cash. I truly expressed how happy I was for him. Called back in another two weeks to see how everything was. When application to park was put in he was declined. Wanted to put two adults and five children in a two BR, 1 BA home. NOT! Do exactly as Lonnie suggests, listen more than you talk and you will be amazed at what people will tell you. From this information you can easily tell if they are motivated, or may soon become motivated.

Wrong assumption. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 10, 2003 at 16:03:25:

You say the sellers aren’t calling you back so oooobviously you need to call them back.

Wrong assumption.

What is obvious is that you should moooooove on and find some motivated sellers. You are probably calling regular retail sellers who aren’t motivated, and expecting them to lower their prices to your level.

Don’t hold your breath.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

If you had several motivated sellers on the line, they would be calling you back. They aren’t and that’s why they aren’t.

Regards, doc

Thanks to everyone for their comments … - Posted by Paul(TX)

Posted by Paul(TX) on October 13, 2003 at 11:00:34:

I did find one unoccupied FSBO a few weeks back where owner moved out 18 MONTHS ago, but still paying lot rent at $210 p.m. (Owner is a mother who had moved in with kids).

She said they might try lease option in October and did not seem too bothered by paying lot rent each month.

Guess I’ll wait a few weeks, then do a “casual” follow-up call.

Thanks & Regards,
Paul(TX)

Re: Everyone is entitled… - Posted by Eddie-Mi

Posted by Eddie-Mi on October 11, 2003 at 21:54:40:

I agree with you. I had thought that all FSBO homes in large parks were retail priced (until this past week). However, vacant homes and 400 a month in lot rent gets someone motivated pretty quick.

I just got an immaculate 2000 16x72 for 7000 with terms.