For the rehabbers - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by James on June 27, 2007 at 17:49:42:

I’d agree about the pcvc cost and anyone can do it. In Michigan where I’m from, it’s ideal to have PEX as weather changes upset plumbing in the event a tenant forgets to pay their bill or the house is vacant and I’m buying to rehab.

Pex solves all my problem, but I’m not everyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

James

For the rehabbers - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on June 26, 2007 at 18:04:20:

Howdy,

If you had galvanized pipes that were about 40 years old and were quite corroded on the inside (throwing lots of sediment & clogging the fixtures) . . . in your personal residence what would be your course of action?

Should I replace all the pipes with copper or PVC?

I was quoted today, $1800 for the new copper pipes, and I’m still thinking about it (still have to speak with the wife).

Wouldn’t PVC be cheaper and better? This is in the Los Angeles area

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Brad

Many thanks to all for sharing your thoughts - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on June 28, 2007 at 24:12:46:

Thanks everybody!

Brad

PEX - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on June 27, 2007 at 08:05:04:

I think PEX is the best option for most people. It’s quick and easy. After doing my own copper and then switching to CPVC, I tried PEX and I’ll never go back!

-Berno

Building codes - Posted by kevin IL

Posted by kevin IL on June 27, 2007 at 06:58:35:

Brad,

Your local building codes will determine the material used. $1800 for copper seems like a really good price. Last year I did some remodeling on my home and replumbed some galv lines in copper. Almost all the horizontal supply lines in the basement were replaced (not the vert pipes going to 1st & 2nd flr). This has cut down on the amount of sediment in the water…but not completely eliminated it. I suppose I’d have to do all the pipes for that.

Re: For the rehabbers - Posted by Dean in NC

Posted by Dean in NC on June 27, 2007 at 05:14:02:

Have you considered PEX - -it’s very easy to use, especially for re-plumbing, it doesn’t require as many elbow joints because it bends easily and will expand with freezing instead of cracking like pvc sometimes does. I’ve used it a lot in rehabs and will replace my old galvinzed pipes in my personal residence with it soon.
Dean

Re: For the rehabbers - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 26, 2007 at 19:03:24:

I assume that price is for the incoming lines only? If that’s for in and out and getting rid of the old, then that sounds like quite a steal.

I’ve been paying $ 3,000 for all in and out pipes redone in PVC for a 2 bath/1 kitchen house in Atlanta. And that was a good deal for the area.

Copper is normally considered superior over pvc. Pvc you can work on yourself. Another situation is your area. The price of copper has gone up and quite a few copper lines disappear over night. People climb under the house and cut them right out. sell it then per pound. That wouldn’t happen with pvc.

Michaela

Re: For the rehabbers - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on June 26, 2007 at 18:58:03:

I would get rid of the old pipes. Probably would use pvc since it is cheaper and easier to work with.

Re: PEX - Posted by Bob Smith

Posted by Bob Smith on June 27, 2007 at 11:14:31:

I love PEX, but it’s not code-approved in a lot of places. If it were the plumbers would be unhappy!

Re: PEX - Posted by James

Posted by James on June 27, 2007 at 09:26:46:

Exactly.

Had 7 houses overnight miss their plumbing this winter…of course, there’s windows and doors to replace too when that happens.

PEX is by far the easiest way to solve the problem…and it’s flexible too. No more exact measurements like with copper. The crimping tool costs about $100 bucks if you can get a contractor’s discount.

Retards (Menards) and Home Depot carry PEX in stock in most places now. Not sure about Lowes Blows, but I’m sure they won’t be too far behind. lol

Sorry about the comments, but my mother told me never to lie. :OMG:

James

Re: Building codes - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on June 27, 2007 at 17:33:34:

Or put a strainer in the system. These are normally used in commercial applications and have a cleanable screen.

Re: For the rehabbers - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on June 27, 2007 at 05:56:48:

You should be using Cpvc, not pvc. The difference is that the cpvc is designed for potable water usage, both hot and cold. Also it is the same size dimentionally as copper. The pvc is the same size as pipe. Most localities do not allow the use of pvc for interior plumbing.

Re: PEX - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on June 27, 2007 at 17:31:31:

PEX crimping tool costs about 100-150. Not too difficult to operate, but if not done correctly you will have a problem. Also the fittings are not real cheap. CPVC on the other hand can be done by almost everyone, even the most unhandy person. Needs some solvent and a $12 tool. It also can be bent in some tight situations.

Re: For the rehabbers - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 27, 2007 at 06:58:56:

you’re right. It’s Cpvc, that I’ve been using, not PVC