For those that buy at Auction - Posted by Doone

Posted by David on April 11, 2000 at 20:54:02:

Yes here in Pa. I hire abstractors, or title searchers, usually independents, but some times title companies. I usually pay $25 for a one owner search. I used to do them myself and after years of doing them I was pretty good, but not as good as a good professional. I have paid as little as $5 to $10 a search and have hired abstractors by the hour not the search. Fo one particular auction I hired 3 or 4 searcher who ended up doing about 150 searches for me for one sale! I paid them by the hour not the piece.
I have also gottem searches from an attorney who does a lot of work for me.
Hope that helps,
David

For those that buy at Auction - Posted by Doone

Posted by Doone on April 07, 2000 at 13:55:44:

What info, if any, do you check out before attending
Auctions?

Doone

Re: For those that buy at Auction - Posted by Paul_NY

Posted by Paul_NY on April 08, 2000 at 24:53:16:

You want to run title on the current owner. You can pay for it, which I would suggest for now, or you can check the grantor index under the current owners name.

Ask people in the registry of deeds for help. Explain what you’re trying to do. They will either help or lead you to someone who can.

Re: For those that buy at Auction - Posted by Zee, PA

Posted by Zee, PA on April 11, 2000 at 01:35:20:

Paul,

Are you able to get title searches done like that without paying huge fees for the title insurance?

Down here, the prices are smoewhat fixed, and typically tied into the insurance cost. Although a couple of title companies said they would do just a title search, they also said it costs about the same in hourly fees as does buying the insurance in the first place. (When you buy the insurance, they throw in the search.)

How does the investor avoid going broke with title search/insurance fees until he or she learns how to title search?