Foreclosure(Federal Liens)/Assignment questions - Posted by CCollins

Posted by Ben (NJ) on January 25, 2001 at 12:42:47:

There is some truth to what your friend told you. I am a tax foreclosure attorney and we cut off federal liens all the time. However, this is because municipal
tax liens have been granted a “superpriority” over most federal tax liens by The Federal Tax Lien Act of 1966 (sorry I don’t have a cite, I am on vacation). Note I said “most”, there are distinctions between consensual liens (i.e VA mortgages) and IRS liens (involuntary liens). Most involuntary liens will be cut off. Another little known secret, in six years of practice I have yet to see the state or federal government even ANSWER a complaint. (lazy b*stards) They routinely default even if there is an argument that they have priority. A sharp attorney will just join them as a defendant and cross his fingers hoping that they default. (Of course they still have that 180 day post-judgment redemption period). As you can probably see this is an area fraught with landmines, loopholes and caveats. If you don’t understand EXACTLY what you are getting into, as you said, you are probably better off just avoiding properties with federal liens. Hope this helps!

Foreclosure(Federal Liens)/Assignment questions - Posted by CCollins

Posted by CCollins on January 24, 2001 at 16:02:31:

A couple of quick questions for all of you gurus

1.)I have purchased foreclosure properties before but have always stayed away from those that had Federal Liens not cut off by the Lis Pendens. However, today someone commented to me that depending upon what type of Federal Lien it is I may not have to worry. (My concerns have not only been footing the bill for the lien - but being able to provide clear title to the purchaser) Does anyone know a good source of information I can refer to - whether it be a periodical/book or even a website that I may use to educate myself on these distinctions?

2.)I am also very interested in taking/purchasing a course which will give me the ins/outs of purchasing properties via assignments. This works both both pre/post foreclosure. Has anyone taken such a course? what was your impression of it in terms of worth? Again - if you know of a periodical/book or even a website that I may use to educate myself I’d greatly appreciate it - thanks