Foreclosure Time Period In PA? - Posted by Big Harold

Posted by David Krulac on February 18, 2002 at 19:20:55:

it depends on a number of factors, but it is a slow process. many counties only have sheriff sales 4 or 6 times a year. Call your local sheriff office to find out their schedule. Plus there are many legal hoops to jump through. From my experience from the first notice it will be more like a year, than 4 months.

David Krulac

Foreclosure Time Period In PA? - Posted by Big Harold

Posted by Big Harold on February 18, 2002 at 16:59:46:

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the time period is on a foreclosure in Pennsylvania. I mean from the time the first paperwork is put on the public documents, is it 4 months? I’ve been trying to find this information, but can’t seem to find it online. This is very important to my investing ideas. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

Harold Wilson
Real Estate Investor

Re: Foreclosure Time Period In PA? - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on February 19, 2002 at 07:34:43:

Harold, there is no fixed time frame. The process is initiated by a complaint filed by the lienholder. The lienholder can decide to file the complaint at any time - when the homeowner is three months late or over ayear late on payments. A complaint has specific time frames for a response, trial dates, etc., just like any legal proceeding. That process can take any number of months, very few or many, demending on the complexity of the matter, any postponements to hearings, etc.

After a judgement is entered in favor of the lienholder, the property can only be sold at sheriff’s sale after it is advertised in the paper three times. This is where the 3 months comes from (you noted 4) - it is placed usually in consecutive issues of the local county bar journal and the local newspapers. At this point, the date for the sale is set, and advertised, and if the homeower does not make good the judgement against him or her, the property is sold at the advertised sheriff’s sale after the proper notice period.

In addition, in PA, there are other factors: There is a state law that requires the lender to provide information to the homeowner about state programs to help them pay their mortgage debt, and this process also can take an additional 90 days. So, as you can see, there is no fixed timeframe. Finally, local practice in your county may affect how things are done and the related timeframes.

I don’t know what your investing ideas consist of, a lot of people are farming foreclosures. Where in PA are you located? If I can help any more, please email me off list for specifics to your area. Hope this helps.

Sue Caskey

Re: Foreclosure Time Period In PA? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 18, 2002 at 22:18:22:

Harold,

I don’t know the exact process, but I’ve dealt w/ several people that were going into foreclosure and a year into the thing, the folks were STILL in their homes. (These are 2 separate families!!!)

So, I think it’s suffice to say, it’s a very, very slowwww process and 4 months isn’t long enough!

CAREY