Former owners returning - Posted by gary

Posted by Tom-FL on September 02, 2005 at 24:07:51:

You should have them arrested. Frankly I don’t know why you haven’t done that already. If MY house were burglarized, that’s the first thing I would do.

Former owners returning - Posted by gary

Posted by gary on September 01, 2005 at 14:20:26:

I purchased a home in May. It closed May 30
The owners were informed to get everything out. They said they needed 2 extra days (after the escrow closed)
I let them stay to finish up. When I got the key and went to move into my new home, I found it in total disarray. They left numerous objects, Broken down stuffung showing furniture, skeletons of animals behind sofas broken windows and filthy inhumane conditions. It has taken 2 months to just get it liveable.
On July 7 (six weeks after close) they came back and said they wanted the rest of their stuff. They were furious that their key didn’t fit the house anymore and the proceeded to break into property and started taking things.
Now they are suing me for their things.
Is this possible?
Thanks

Re: Former owners returning - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on September 02, 2005 at 06:37:26:

Your purchase agreement should have addressed the taking of occupancy by you and also the condition of the premises upon vacating by the previous owners.

If they broke into YOUR home, file a police report. Let them try to take you to court for the remains of the dead animals and other filth in the home. I hope you took pictures of it. If they are suing you, be sure to file a counter claim for the clean up of their mess and also them breaking into your home.

One more thing. Don’t tell anyone that it took you two months to clean up their mess because I would consider that totally unbelievable. It might be a mess, however, someone could conceivably come in and bag the “trash” in a day. You would not want to appear that you are stretching things and trying to make it worse when it is already bad enough in its own right.

Good luck.