Found Ad in the paper.... - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Joe(NY) on May 23, 2001 at 14:58:20:

Holy cow! Robert J. Allen? I’ve read “The Challenge” and was inspired by it. I’ve just begun investigating this incredibly challenging world of REI. I also have “Nothing Down for the 90’s”, though I’ve not yet read it as I am also going through Carleton Sheets material and various other books. But so far, your material has been the most inspirational to me. I especially like the advice you gave to the people in the book about listening to inspirational tapes on success and read books. I’ve been feeding my mind with this material ever since.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, through your wonderful books, with those of us who hunger for success. You have set me on the road less traveled. I pray I am able to implement the lessons you’ve taught, to manifest the success to which I know I am capable.

Joe

Found Ad in the paper… - Posted by Fran CA

Posted by Fran CA on February 15, 2001 at 23:10:38:

We found an interesting ad in the paper that said “Coming Soon” fixer for sale.

When we called the number a gentleman called us back and said that the house isn’t ready to show and that it doesn’t show well.

What would be a good way to get my foot in the door? What can I possible say to this guy on the phone that would convince him I am a serious buyer?

He wanted papers proving that we could buy the house. Is he wanting us to be prequalified?

We are in a sellers market and homes in the area he is selling in normally sell in a week or less.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Fran

Re: This guy - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on February 16, 2001 at 15:37:16:

sounds like your “classic” tired landlord. Not ready to show the property yet because he still has a deadbeat tenant camped out in it. It is probably really bad, but he does not know just how bad yet. I’ll bet the price was not discussed yet either. The “classic” is hoping that it is not as bad as he fears so he can “up” the price just a bit. He did not screen his tenant well, if at all; so he is willing to take that shortcoming out on you. He wants financial info on you, too little too late.

“Mr seller, I will be happy to provide the financial information that you need”. “Of course you understand that I will need to know all the details about the property, and you first”. Is the property currently occupied? Is it livable? Is it insured? Are the taxes paid up to date? Do you have any judgements, or leins against you that may attach the property? Do you have any mortgages? Are the payments currently up to date? Let me know, O.K…

Re: Found Ad in the paper… - Posted by R. Allen

Posted by R. Allen on February 16, 2001 at 09:07:25:

Hmmm… He doesn’t sound very motivated to sell. A true “Don’t Wanter” is not going to ask for proof of prequalification. They just want someone with a pulse and a wallet.

However, to get in the door I would tell him that you do not care what the property looks like now because you will be rehabing it anyway. Ask a few questions to find his level of motivation. Let him know that you are in a position to save him time and money by taking the house “as is” with a quick close. If he has any real motivation to sell he will let you in the door.

The most important thing to do is to communicate to the seller your desire to help him solve his problem.

Robert

Re: Found Ad in the paper… - Posted by John STL

Posted by John STL on February 16, 2001 at 12:19:36:

Are you “the” Robert Allen. Just wondering because i read one of your books and wanted to tell you how good I thought it was.

Re: Found Ad in the paper… - Posted by R. Allen

Posted by R. Allen on February 17, 2001 at 12:00:41:

John,

While I have met 2 other Robert Allens in my lifetime, I guess I am “the” Robert Allen you are refering to.

Thanks for the compliment on my book. Which one did you read?

Robert