free long distance calls over the computer??? - Posted by Nicole (AZ)

Posted by Patrick-(OH) on December 01, 1999 at 18:35:02:

You can make free phone calls from your web browsers to any telephone in the US. Now, you don’t have to disconnect from the Internet to make a phone call. Just come to dialpad.com and make free unlimited long distance calls.

You don’t have to download and install anything. Just come to dialpad.com . With its Java/Web technology, everything is automated. Enjoy!

free long distance calls over the computer??? - Posted by Nicole (AZ)

Posted by Nicole (AZ) on December 01, 1999 at 17:23:19:

I just heard about this web site called visitalk.com. I checked it out and this is actually true. You can download a couple of programs for FREE and (if you have speakers and a microphone) call long distance without any charges!!! Of course, the one catch is that the person you are calling must also be on the system. They also offer voice chat rooms and voice email with out having to use a phone. This is all COMPLETELY free. Isn’t internet wonderful! If everyone got on this system, we could put the long distance carriers out of business. You don’t even have to know the person’s phone number. They give you a pcn (mine is 200111120001, in case you want to try it out) and you can reach someone no matter where in the world they are, as long as they are logged on to any computer that has the software downloaded.

I hope this doesn’t sound like an add. I just thought it was really cool and could make it easier to communicate with out the long distance carriers lining their pockets.

Nicole

Re: free long distance calls over the computer??? - Posted by Glenn

Posted by Glenn on December 01, 1999 at 19:15:08:

A couple of comments:

1. The long distance carriers you want to put out of business are the carriers used by the internet.
  2. How’s your download speed on the internet? Does it seem to take a long time to display a screen (even with a 56K Modem)? Part of that is affected by the overall load on the internet, so if a large number of people start chatting over the net, it is going to go through a major bog down/crash in the future.
    Sorry to rain on your parade.
    Glenn