Free Mobile Home - Posted by Brad

Posted by WayneMD on January 02, 2001 at 08:33:35:

$1,500 per day. That’s not too shabby!

Happy New Year Paul!

Wayne

Free Mobile Home - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on December 30, 2000 at 15:07:39:

Hello, and Happy Holidays. I just called on a ad in my local paper for a free mobile home (1973 regent 12x60). The owner lives out of town and used the home only for a place to stay when he did work in the area, he said a couple of weeks ago the insulation came off the water pipes and they froze and busted. He does not want to work on it so he is giving it away if someone is interested in repairing it, otherwise the home is in fair condition. I am going to look at the home next week when he comes to town. Has anybody had experince in fixing the water pipes and what are some of the things I need to look at when inspecting the home. My thinking is it will be hard to lose money on a free mobile home unless the repair cost is extensive. Thanks for your help.

Re: Free Mobile Home - Posted by Paul NM

Posted by Paul NM on December 30, 2000 at 23:35:58:

Hi Brad,

For details on repairing mobile homes look at my web site www.MobileHomeDoctor.com

I got a “free” mobile home once and found it very educational in a variety of ways.

Since I had nothing in it, I could sell to anyone on any terms. I found that really unleashed my imagination. My buyer walked up and asked if it was for sale as I was drilling out the locks to get into it for the first time and I sold it as-is without ever doing anything to it.

They paid on time for four months and then called to say the water leaks were wrecking the floors etc. I looked and saw the most amazing collection of patched, taped, leaking plumbing I had ever seen.

At that point I could say, “sorry, you bought as-is so fix it yourself.” However, it was clear that kind of repair was beyond them. So I fixed it myself on the theory I salvaged a $3,000 income stream rather than thinking of it as two days of free plumbing work.

So many mobile home repair issues are related to plumbing that I think time you spend fixing the free one will give you a real head start on learning to spot problems with others you will be looking at.

Your mileage may vary :slight_smile:

Paul NM