Free mobile home - Posted by Jonathan

Posted by Steve-WA on July 28, 2003 at 12:39:16:

Bert NH, the rules differ by city, township, and county all across this great land of ours. What is true for me is not necessarily true for you, and vice-versa.

Come to think of it, I think you are the first poster that I’ve seen from NH - now it may not be such a mystery as to why . . . the area is (may be?) prohibitive to this business.

Free mobile home - Posted by Jonathan

Posted by Jonathan on July 21, 2003 at 20:19:15:

Hi everyone, first time poster! This whole mobile home business looks really great! I’ve read DOW thru and thru and now I’m working on putting some money together for some lonnie deals… I saw a couple of interesting ads: (1) Older Mobile Home, is OK to live in, free, must be hauled away Call 000-0000

(2) 1975 Crown 12 X 70 2/1 in good condition & on wheels, ready to move. Free! Call 000-0000

I know its not advisable to start off moving homes, but how can you beat free if its in OK condition?!!!

Also any advise for a 19 year old talking to PM’s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Re: Free mobile home - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on July 28, 2003 at 17:05:53:

Cant give much more advice except like Dr.C mentioned, selling to other to pull out works fine.

I believe he might have sold some to Hispanic laborers and that works in my area.

I haven’t done it yet, but am preparing to.

Our midwestern town is 31% Hispanic and our county is about 24% Hispanic. Many of these immigrants are willing to do the dirty work of making these homes nice enough to live in.

Philip

Take them but … - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on July 24, 2003 at 19:01:39:

…don’t move them.

Take them if you can get 30-60 (or more) days to move them and then advertise them for sale as pull-outs. Let the next guy move them. You can probably make a quick’n easy grand on each for just the cost of your ad. Be flexible on your price if need be. Almost any offer will be profitable. CASH only. Don’t finance.

Regards, doc

how you can beat free? - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 21, 2003 at 22:59:48:

In your case, free means:

Cost to move and setup - anywhere from $400 to $2400, or more

Building permit - $100 for me

All the work to pass the building inspection: porches, usually 2, 100-200 each, for materials only; gutters - anywhere from 50 bucks for downspouts and splashguards, to 400 for the whole shebang; smoke detectors, drywall in water heater and furnace enclosures, possible window replacements to allow acceptable fire exits, and a few more things I haven’t remembered.

Possible landscaping.

Skirting - if you can get used in any condition from a mover, free to cheap, and then your tinme to put it up; or, hire it done - last time I checked, $600 for labor only. I do my own - mail ordered from the mobilehomepartsstore.com, 300 - 400 delivered, and I taught myself to install - a good half day to 8 hrs time spent.

Holding costs, marketing costs - plan on a couple of months lot rent, plus $100 for ads and signs.

There’s a couple of old posts by Karl(OH) about moving:

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/20771.html

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/6989.html

Or, do as some do, take an option, and sell it cheap as a mover for $500.

Pretty complicated, easy to get sour on this, if you aren’t confident and have a clue of the real, hidden costs. I have spent $3000 to $5000 for “free movers”.

Re: Take them but … - Posted by Jonathan

Posted by Jonathan on July 25, 2003 at 19:27:40:

Thank-you Steve and Dr. Craig!

That looks like a very good idea Dr. Craig! I smelled an opportunity when I saw the ad. Have you ever done this or heard of anyone doing this before?
What kind of disclaimer phrase should I put in the agreement with the owner in case it doesn’t sell in 30-60 days?

Thanks again for your help!

Jonathan

Re: how you can beat free? - Posted by Bert NH

Posted by Bert NH on July 28, 2003 at 11:21:36:

How old are these homes? Doesn’t anbody worry about age? In my area (NH) no towns will allow a pre 1976 home to be brought into town whether in a park or private land. Thus - these homes are worthless!

Yur ole snoozle works fine… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on August 04, 2003 at 19:53:41:

…you do smell, indeed.

I’ve done it lots of times and I still do.

Just ask for a 60 day option to buy. Get it it writing. Keep agreement simple ---- 3-4 sentences on the back of an envelope will do. Otherwise they may be afraid to sign if it looks like your lawyer made it.

I used to offer a peppercorn for consideration (payment) to make it legal. Old English law case decided that a peppercorn was sufficient consideration to make a contract legal. Still valid law in the U.S. (Needless to say I have a pepper tree in my yard). Still don’t understand why my friends call me cheap, when they think I can’t hear them.

Folks always asked about the peppercorn. It was a great ice breaker and by the time I was done explaining it the contract was nearly signed, sealed, and delivered. The peppercorn story seemed to distract them from asking for real money for the option.

No disclaimer needed. If you can’t sell it, don’t exercise your option to buy it. If you don’t buy it you can offer to pay them double if you’re feeling guilty (two peppercorns).

Sometimes its simply surprising how well simplicity and brevity work.

Regards, doc