FREEDOM, BABY!!! NO MORE WORKING FOR DA MAN!!! - Posted by TRandle

Posted by WilliamGA on November 05, 2000 at 10:47:27:

Tim,

At least one of us will be there. Not sure if both of us will yet.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Again, congrats!

WilliamGA

FREEDOM, BABY!!! NO MORE WORKING FOR DA MAN!!! - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on November 03, 2000 at 08:27:24:

It’s past time for me to join the ranks of the full-timers, so my last day at the J.O.B. is Monday November 13th! After attending the CREO convention in Atlanta in March, I made a decision to be self-unemployed by the next one.

It will be interesting attempting to maintain our current lifestyle, but either way, it still feels right to quit making a “dying”. Now that my fear factor is rising substantially (turned in notice a few weeks ago), I’ll be looking to you folks, my extended family, for inspiration and support.

I guess I’ll have to retire the suits, Dockers, and dress shoes and move the Alexander/Fernandez attire to the front of the closet. David and Phil, you’d be proud; we have a sales closing on the 23rd on a house I signed up in shorts, T-shirt and old tennis shoes. Funny thing was that the entire time I was there, I didn’t really care about the potential profit, I just wanted to be able to tell you two that I did it, and it felt right. Smiling in Austin…

Enjoy the ride - Posted by Alex Gurevich, TX

Posted by Alex Gurevich, TX on November 07, 2000 at 22:29:39:

Hey Tim,

I knew this was coming all along.

You should enjoy the ride so much more.
You are going to make more money, and the
money is nice - but the ride is even better.

I’ll see you around town.

Re: FREEDOM, BABY!!! - Posted by Eric Fl

Posted by Eric Fl on November 05, 2000 at 09:09:03:

Must be on top of the world!!!

“CONGRATES”

There is nothing to fear… - Posted by tb

Posted by tb on November 04, 2000 at 18:03:31:

but fear and yourself!

Good going Tim, I`ll be joining your ranks within the month. Maybe we can help counsel each other through the rough spots. LOL

Seriously though, CONGRATS! and GOOD LUCK!

tb

NOT KNOWING what your Cheque is every month - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on November 04, 2000 at 06:04:28:

Thats the favorite line when you make that step.

All your well meaning friends/family will ask
“How can you stand not knowing how much your cheque will be every month ?”

Answer : “How can you stand KNOWING how much your cheque is every month ?” !!!

There are lots of good posts here on your “taking the plunge” to going full time. The best quote of them all is yours - " making decisions that go against my natural tendancies has worked real well" - thats the key to all of this - throw off our previously held thoughts and open the doors to all the possibilities out there.
Congratulations to you and good wishes to those who are working on being free of the grind.

A toast to your success! - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on November 03, 2000 at 21:41:13:

Couldn’t happen to better people!!! Way to go! Almost there myself and can’t wait to talk to you and Kelly again in Atlanta.
Much Success
Dee-Texas

Way to go! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 03, 2000 at 20:29:18:

That is so exciting. I cut back to 2 days a week at my job last month and can tell you it is absolutely thrilling. It is so much easier to do deals without doing the grind 5 days a week.

Congratulations!

Re: FREEDOM, BABY! - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on November 03, 2000 at 19:50:38:

To all those I didn’t address individually, as well as those I did, I thank you sincerely for the support shown. Take care…

Excellent Example Of Goal Setting - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on November 03, 2000 at 17:26:26:

Just another quick comment here. Here is an excellent example of folks making a goal, being committed and finding ways to see the thing through.

Don’t just dream and hope, set your goals and go after them.

That is Great news! - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on November 03, 2000 at 15:36:48:

Congrats Tim!

That’s GREAT news!

I just celebrated my first 90 days (Nov. 1st) in the “full time” arena. That being said, I can relate to all the emotions you are probably feeling right now. Sure, it feels strange giving up that “dependable” paycheck, but it gets alot better later when you see the folks you have worked with in the past and they are complaining about how they are going to have to work over the holidays. Then you get to tell them about the trips you have been taking and how you will actually get to take the full 2 weeks that your children are out of school and be off with them for the first time EVER!

We just bought 5 houses in October, our best month ever. Could never have done that if I was still at the job.

Good luck to you!

WilliamGA

Re: NO MORE WORKING FOR DA MAN!!! - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by Ben (FL) on November 03, 2000 at 14:47:12:

Congratulations. I’m planning on making the same move myself soon.

Let me add, I am a Geologist for my J.O.B. Being ultra-casual, earthy, non-engineering types, we are allowed to wear jeans, t-shirts, and even shorts. I look for excuses to dress up a little, and I’ll bet after a bit of the self employment-ness, you’ll find youself slipping on the old Tommy Hilfingers just to go to Denny’s.

Anyway, congratulations!

Believe it or not! - Posted by Terry Vaughan

Posted by Terry Vaughan on November 03, 2000 at 14:05:17:

Congratulations Tim!

Believe it or not, there will come a time when you and your wife will look at each other, with puzzled brows - trying to get your mind around an old (forgotten by you) concept called “JOB”.

Finnally, you will shrug your shoulders and admit that you can’t relate.

Good going!

Congrats!!! Now you are DA MAN!!! - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on November 03, 2000 at 13:31:05:

Now that you have joined the ranks guess what??? The team you put together will be looking to you for their security.
Philospher, Psycologist, Friend, Persuader and Motivator will be your job from now on to keep the train moving… Go Get um!
Pat

You must have been reading my mind… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on November 03, 2000 at 12:56:36:

this morning I sat in Dunkin Donuts with my wife and two year old and had some bagels and a leisurely cup of coffee. At one point my wife said, “we are the only ones sitting in this place, everyone else comes rushing in, looking stressed, grabs some coffee and flies out the door”. I said “welcome to self-employment, …how about a refill on that coffee?”. CONGRATS!

More Info - Posted by Steve (OH)

Posted by Steve (OH) on November 03, 2000 at 12:54:14:

For the benefit of the group, what is the likelihood that you could expand on your situation (how long you’ve been at it, what you own, what you’ve done, etc.) so some of us striving to do what you did could better understand where we need to go?

Thanks.

CONGRATULATIONS!! - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on November 03, 2000 at 12:24:09:

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the ranks of the gainfully unemployed!! Without question, one of the best days of my life was the day I submitted my resignation (with appropriate notice) to my former employer. The feeling of freedom from the yoke of the J. O. B. is extremely invigorating, isn’t it? Those of us who’ve already experienced it, know the marvelous emotions the experience produces. Those who are yet to make the leap will look to you as a perfect example of one who set a goal, developed a game plan to achieve the goal, and took the day to day actions necessary to achieve the goal. CONGRATULATIONS!!

BTW, the fear factor will quickly subside as you continue to close deals.

Best Wishes for Continued Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Freedom? Now, YOU are “da man”! - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on November 03, 2000 at 12:18:00:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Re: Grooovy! - Posted by Stacy(AZ)

Posted by Stacy(AZ) on November 03, 2000 at 11:53:17:

Go get 'em Tim. Judging from what I can gather from your posts and emails, you’ll be making MUCH more than your salary in no time! Get it on!

Stacy

Re: FREEDOM, BABY!!! - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on November 03, 2000 at 10:48:56:

Way to go! I am trying to line up that move as well. My congrats to you and Kelly.

Terry