Fridge with spoiled food smell in it

I just purchased a trailer that was abandoned last fall with everything still in it. Any by everything I mean even the food in the fridge, which now smells to high heaven. I had this issue with another trailer a year ago and ended up pitching the fridge because I couldn’t get the smell out but this one is almost brand new and I don’t want to get rid of it if I don’t have to. Any suggestions or products that have worked for others in the past? I’m going to try bleach first and then ammonia, hopefully that will work but I want to be ready if it doesn’t. Supposed to be in the mid-50’s this weekend, at least I’ll be able to open some windows and doors.

Sunshine worked for me

I once had stand-alone freezer in garage (thank the Lord!) go bad when I was out of town for weekend.

Everything had spoiled, maggots were having National Party Convention there. I’ll be diplomatic here and won’t say which party but they were fully occupying that appliance.

I too tried every kind of chemical and trick short of flame-thrower but nothing worked so I finally got it to back-yard, opened it up and let it sit there in sun & rain for maybe a week.

The open-to-weather trick did it for me, killed the maggots and all odors disappeared.

[QUOTE=Dave (WI);884197]I just purchased a trailer that was abandoned last fall with everything still in it. Any by everything I mean even the food in the fridge, which now smells to high heaven. I had this issue with another trailer a year ago and ended up pitching the fridge because I couldn’t get the smell out but this one is almost brand new and I don’t want to get rid of it if I don’t have to. Any suggestions or products that have worked for others in the past? I’m going to try bleach first and then ammonia, hopefully that will work but I want to be ready if it doesn’t. Supposed to be in the mid-50’s this weekend, at least I’ll be able to open some windows and doors.[/QUOTE]

A good thorough clean is essential. Next let it sit a year in the yard with the door open, and preferably where the sun will bake it. After that put a small cloth bag full of charcoal briquets into it, the charcoal will absorb the smell.

Then sell the fridge on craigslist (with a disclaimer)or in a sale with the house, but don’t use it for a rental, because it will always stink.

I have cleaned quite a few of them, and continued to use them for the next tenant. Remove contents, take it outside and fill a pump sprayer with “outdoor bleach”, spray, let it sit awhile and use a brush on it, and wash it out with a garden hose. You may have to repeat the process.

Don’t let no fridge whip yer arse.

Works like Magic

Buy outdoor bleach
Get a pump, garden sprayer

1/2 hot water, 1/2 bleach in sprayer

Open fridge and soak every inch, every nook, including the ice box and vent/drain in the back.

Close and keep it closed for 3 days.

Open and mop out what is left in the bottom.

The fridge will look brand new.

Tony

That’s the Trick

Do as Tony & TarheelT said. “Outdoor Bleach” is the trick. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

I use a pump-up sprayer, but I just spray it straight without diluting it. I let it sit overnight and rinse with garden hose the next day. Repeat until a simple wipe-down cleaning will finish it up.

Obviously, you should take everything out first. Nitrile gloves help. :slight_smile:

Michael(KCMO)

Good advice folks. Glad to know that there is a way to save the frig when you find a surprise.

I too do this; I also spray outdoor bleach in my tiled shower @ home- cleans the grout and mildew like a dream

One Product. Many Uses.

Steve, I use it to clean showers too. I’ve also used it to clean toilets that were . . . . well, let’s just say they were really nasty! Mixed 1:1 with water and a few capfulls of Dawn dish detergent, put in a pump-up sprayer and followed by the powerwasher it’s great for cleaning a deck, wood fence, or other weathered wood.

[QUOTE=Tarheel T;884210]I have cleaned quite a few of them, and continued to use them for the next tenant. Remove contents, take it outside and fill a pump sprayer with “outdoor bleach”, spray, let it sit awhile and use a brush on it, and wash it out with a garden hose. You may have to repeat the process.

Don’t let no fridge whip yer arse.[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to back up here…and eat some…

I have just experienced the unthinkable…a fridge that is too stinky to reuse even after the outdoor bleach job. And the main thing is that after bleaching it would not even work at all except for the door light. Filled with little dead black bugs. I am thinking the bugs gummed up something important to its function. I have not had this happen before.

Now I am faced with the frig bugs again at another place and this time thought to test the frig before cleaning it. It also wont come on. (Yes I paid the electric bill.) It must have worked a year or so ago so the bugs must be the culprit? Anything else to try on a “dead” frig?

Tracy