Frustrated-No one's leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Stew(NE) on January 23, 2002 at 20:52:32:

I have my business line (which has voicemail) forward to my cell phone (which I set to vibrate) and carry with me to the JOB. This way If I lose my cell phone, it won’t interrupt my service while I get it replaced. Just an idea.

Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on January 23, 2002 at 24:30:03:

I paid $300 bucks for a 4 line ad in my local paper…for 2 weeks. I’ve just finished day 7.

Ad reads:

I can buy or lease your house. No Equity. No Problem. Call 24 hour recorded message. 555-1212

I followed the script in my course and I know I’ve received numerous calls - calls when I’ve been home I’ve heard my answering machine ring - average 2-3 times per day. But not one person’s left a message!

I’m thinking of adding the Joe Kaiser, ‘if this is urgent and you’re ready for me to come over right now and right up deal…here’s my cell phone…’ - just so I can talk to someone (motivated or not) and not feel like I’ve wasted my money on this ad.

Is it always this painful in the beginning?

Heidi

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on January 23, 2002 at 21:24:34:

I don’t know what course you have and of course I don’t know what script you have, but my ad generally says the same thing and IF I am not home to pick up the phone, after 2 rings the phone goes right to my voice mail which says:

You’ve reached Real Home Solutions, we are either on the other line or away from the office, please leave your name, telephone number and a detailed message and someone will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you and have a good day! (or something to that effect)

anyway, I get plenty of messages left, but I also get hang ups too. I think that if your message is too long, people will hang up longgg before your message ends, but that’s just me and this is just what works for me right now.

$300 for 2 weeks!!! oh my God…where do you live? jeez…don’t you have any penny pincher papers or something?? that’s a pretty steep price to pay for an ad! (I pay between $90-$170/mo and my ad runs every day and it’s local, daily paper in the neighborhood)

good luck,

CAREY

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by ScottS

Posted by ScottS on January 23, 2002 at 11:11:22:

Heidi,

I have a full time job and travel a fair amount with that job. I’ve tried the two step approach to marketing myself with very little results. The good thing about that approach is when you do get someone to jump through the hoops they usually are motivated and self qualified. Also you talk to less people.

Having said all that, I still prefer to use a voicemail box with a simple little message “I’m not available to answer the phone right now, please leave your name and telephone number and I’ll call you as soon as I get in.”

Sounds like a busy office or I’m out of the office.

I’m not busy enough to use Joe’s pass through technique yet. Beside I like to talk to the sellers even if they are not motivated, keeps my prequalifying skills sharp.

Good luck.

ScottS

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on January 23, 2002 at 09:43:36:

I’m going to set up an answering service today - it will be used for all marketing efforts. I’ll use my local number as a business line for Loan Officers and Other Vendors, current customers. Once we’re working together, I’ll pass along my cell and other numbers.

This company has good rates and can link to my website.

I’ll let you know how well the service is working.

In the meantime, I have in my ad…free recorded message. I’ve got 7 days left and the answering service won’t be online until Monday.

Here’s the message… 858 560-2929

Do you think the message is turning callers off?

Thanks,
Heidi

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on January 23, 2002 at 07:26:41:

Heidi,

First things first. A three line ad will work just as well as a four line ad. So, I would drop the extra line, it a waste. Also, like Erik said try and answer the phone yourself, most people want to talk to a live person. However, having an answering service is not needed, if the people are truly motivated they will leave a message.

I have a feeling that your recorded message is trying to sell the caller. That should be left for when you are face to face with the seller. Why don’t you post your phone number and let us all hear the message. I think a recorded message does work if you are asking the people to leave their name and address to get something. For example, if you run an ad like Stop Foreclosure! Call recorded message to get a free information packet. Then when they call just tell them a little (very little) and tell them to leave their name and address if they would like to info mailed to them.

Just an idea,

Tim

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Erik

Posted by Erik on January 23, 2002 at 01:08:21:

I have a “I BUY HOUSES” ad out and it is working well. I left my cell phone # in the ad. Everyone has left me a message if I wasn’t able to answer. If there are weekly classified papers in your area (nickel ads) maybe you could try those. They are much cheaper and work just as well as the local daily paper.
I have tried those 24-hour recorded messages… they didn’t work for me either. People want to talk to a live person. My opinion on recorded messages: You are wasting alot of $ on expensive ads if that is the only way they have to reach you. Recorded messages turn most people off. More often than not people are deciding they don’t want to pursue your “service” after listening to your message. Put a number in the ad where they can call you directly… have a script ready and answer your phone if at all possible! This way you can give specific responses to your caller’s needs. Don’t let a lousy message turn away potential leads… at least turn them away yourself!! If you can afford it, hire an answering service to answer your real estate calls when you are unavailable. This way a live person will always be answering the phone. Just my opinion

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on January 23, 2002 at 14:02:16:

You must keep your message short. YOu can’t buy or sell anything with a message, all you can do is get the person’s number so you can call them back, get some info, and if it’s a good lead set up a FTF. Long boring messages turn people off, even desperate sellers.

One person I know of, put the following message on her answering machine " Hi! I buy houses! BEEP". She used to get the funniest replies, " Hi,uh, this is the plumber, I called about the , ah, sink you asked me to fix, but my cousin is selling his house,but that’s not what I called about, DOH! BEEP"

She bought 3 houses that she found out about solely because of the message and paid for the answering machine LOL.

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by GlenSoCAl

Posted by GlenSoCAl on January 23, 2002 at 21:11:52:

I liked your message. I think you ID’d yourself as the Pres. of your Co., I’m not sure…but if you did, there is some incongruity between that and your informal-sounding message.

I’m not a pro at outgoing messages, but you sounded trustworthy, and I think that’s good. To me you your message simply conveyed that you invest in houses, and can offer a quick purchase or lease. You also sounded easy to deal with, and understanding, which should be a plus, right?

Having said that, the suggestions I would make would be for you to rehearse your message. Have it down so you don’t falter. There are some places in the message where you pause, and seemingly have to think. Keep the informality, modulate your voice a (little) more, and tighten it up, add some confidence in your tone. Make it a little more brief. Do it all that while not changing your style, if that makes any sense.

You may want to drop the President part, if that’s in there, just your name might do, and your company name.

I think your message will eventually be great.

You might want to call other investors to listen to their messages.

IMHO, you did very well.

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on January 23, 2002 at 20:40:51:

Toooo long. I probably wouldn’t have made it to your cell # if i had been calling to inquire what you do. I agree with the other guys, it does sound a bit like you are reading it.

I do something like …“Hi this is David, leave a name and number and i’ll get back to you,…or you can try my cell# at 123-4567”. I always answer the phone or my cell when possible. I don’t do any “selling” on my machine, i want it all to be live.

If they don’t leave a message, i use my caller ID and call them back. “I noticed your number on my caller ID, and as i buy and sell homes from this number, i was curious if you may be interested in buying or have one to sell”. Something to that effect.

Now go buy a bunch of houses. Good Luck!!!

David

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Shawn MM

Posted by Shawn MM on January 23, 2002 at 15:32:24:

Heidi, I agree with Steveone on this one. Rock the house! Get motivated! If you aren’t excited to help these folks sell their house, how can they be excited about the services you offer? There’s a fine line between a perfect message and being too “cheesy”. I do my own radio commercials for my business, and let me tell you how often I had to practice in the mirror. Try it, it works. You sounded a wee bit timid too. Project that voice, listen to an Anthony Robbins tape, how he changes his speech pattern and voice. Please don’t take offense, just trying to help out.

Good luck
Shawn MM

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by CurtNY

Posted by CurtNY on January 23, 2002 at 11:59:29:

Heidi,
I agree with Steve, sounds like your reading. Rehearse numerous times before recording the message, don’t read, if you don’t sound confident on the phone they won’t leave a message. Also your message is over 2 minutes long. Do you know why the average commercial is 30 seconds? Because the attention span of most people is that long. Try to keep it under 45 seconds give or take. Hope this helps, good luck with your investing.

CurtNY

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Steveonne

Posted by Steveonne on January 23, 2002 at 10:42:28:

Heidi, I listened to your message. It sounds like your reading a script. Big no, no. You have to have this info down so it sounds just like the way you naturally talk. Then add some conviction, some enthusiasm, and a sense of urgency and you’ll get a much improved response.

I used to train people how to use the phone for an outsourcing telecomm co.

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on January 23, 2002 at 21:27:49:

I agree w/ Tim on this one. If they are motivated enough they WILL leave a message.

good post, Tim.

CAREY

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Erik

Posted by Erik on January 23, 2002 at 12:47:21:

Tim-

Your ideas are very good as well. It has just been my experience that it is very difficult to get people to respond to a recorded message… no matter how good it is. I only suggested an answering service for Heidi because perhaps she has another job and wont be able to answer her phone that often… if this is the case, an answering service would be helpful so that she doesn’t lose any leads. Another thought: If a caller is truly motivated, they may listen to our recorded message and then move on to another investor that they can talk to right away. If you (we) can’t be motivated for them by answering the phone… then why should we expect the seller to be motivated to try and jump through a bunch of hoops to get in touch with us… just my 2 cents.

Re: Frustrated-No one’s leaving messages on Ad! - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on January 23, 2002 at 19:02:39:

Thanks everyone…

I’m going to lose the voicemail, I’m changed my ad to come to my cell phone.

I’m researching an answering service.

Thanks!!!