Frustration - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by Dee-Texas on December 22, 2000 at 15:52:19:

Have you ever heard you catch more bees with honey?..Would he like a new golf club, fishing equiptment…you see where I’m going? Tell him that if he can find just one property, the downpayment or option money from it would buy him a new_________fill in the blank…I bet after the first property, you won’t have to bribe him at all!!!
Merry Christmas and Much success!
Dee-Texas

Frustration - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by Kate (VA) on December 22, 2000 at 11:44:10:

I just need to do a little venting to people who would understand my frustration. Let me start by saying that real estate investing is something my husband thinks is a great idea, but it’s really more my thing. He just wants it to happen, he isn’t really into participating.

My husband works at the county courthouse. He is responsible for putting all the public records on microfiche. All the documents that investors and title researchers spend time looking up at the courthouse pass through his hands first. I was trying to explain to him the great position this gives us. He tells me he ‘doesn’t have time’ to pay a little extra attention to the types of documents that could steer us towards good deals. I have a J.O.B. that doesn’t give me a whole lot of opportunity for courthouse research, so he could be a great help if he could just ‘find the time’. Grrrr!!!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I appreciate it.

Kate

I agree with Dee - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on December 22, 2000 at 21:45:15:

Give him a real life example of the amount of money made/could be made off of a deal in your area.

Let him “smell” the money. He’ll come around.

Re: Frustration - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on December 22, 2000 at 17:12:14:

I believe his participation will greatly improve after you do just one deal… hahahahahaha!!!

Carlos

Re: Frustration - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on December 22, 2000 at 14:34:06:

Boy, do I ever understand. After I did my first flip after re-entering the real estate biz a couple of weeks ago, I asked my brother, who was unemployed if he would like me to teach him some techniques so that he could go out and at least try to work some deals that I had pre-screened and set up. Guess what his response was? This guy, who is unemployed, and does nothing all day (he does send out a couple of resumes once a day) said he didn’t have enough time!!!

I then told him that all the time he would need was maybe an hour or 2 a week because I would do all the background work and set up the deals. He just had to meet with the sellers and look at the house. Too busy for that too. More important stuff to do I suppose.

Re: Frustration - Posted by KennS

Posted by KennS on December 22, 2000 at 14:04:24:

My wife used to work at the recorder’s office and did exactly what your husband does.
I benefited because she could make copies of records for me for free whereas they charged the public.

• Kenn

He is right! - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on December 22, 2000 at 11:50:29:

Yet, he may have a good understanding how and when things are filed, such as Foreclosures, he can give you the inside scoop how and what day and time the sheriff files them.

As to read documents. It would be impossible. Have you ever watched him at work?

Re: He is right! - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by Kate (VA) on December 22, 2000 at 13:29:13:

I don’t want him to read each real estate document that comes in, but he knows our area and it isn’t difficult to glance at the addresses and notice if a house in a desirable neighborhood was in the foreclosure process. When we were looking for our personal residence, he was always telling me what the sale prices were in the neighborhoods were interested in. Anyway, I know he has work to do, but it just seems to me like a missed opportunity.

Kate