Full time investing during a down market? - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by GL - ON on June 29, 2003 at 12:57:34:

The first time I experienced a real downturn I got creamed. Then I stayed out of real estate for over 10 years.

I honestly believed that it was no longer possible to make money in real estate because of high prices, high interest rates, rent controls, and a generally deteriorating social and political climate.

Boy was I wrong! The “smart boys” stayed in the game and worked out ways to make money in the most bizarre, unpredictable market this country has ever seen.

I learned my lesson, several of them in fact. One, there are always opportunities if you use the right tactics Two, no matter what happens in the real estate market it always come back eventually.

Full time investing during a down market? - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on June 29, 2003 at 11:57:43:

I recently went full time after 2 1/2 years of investing part-time. I live in Southern Cali and have done pretty well accumulating properties & building up a lot of equity. I’m wondering how it is for those full timers that have been in the business for the long term and especially during a down market. I know during a down market that’s when it’s an ideal time to buy. Since I’ve only been investing during one of the greatest times in real estate with history breaking low interest rates and significant property appreciation, I’m wondering how you full timers held up during a market downswing.

What strategies have you changed? How have you held up? Are you still around as a full time investor? I’m very curious as I am in it for the long haul and never expect to go back to the corporate world.

Thanks,

Alex F. (CA)