FYI - Laws regarding selling of MH in Texas - Posted by Brad (TX)

Posted by Brad (TX) on January 17, 2000 at 13:11:22:

Meant to say “Bond”. I’ve never even been to jail… I swear!

FYI - Laws regarding selling of MH in Texas - Posted by Brad (TX)

Posted by Brad (TX) on January 17, 2000 at 12:41:54:

I posted a previous message inquiring about laws in Texas reguarding MH sales, and have since found out some info. For those who are interested, here it is. If you can add to it, please do for other newbies, like myself, in Texas.

Texas law states that you can sell one MH per hear without a dealer’s liscense. To obtain a dealers liscense you must first take a class in Austin offered by the Texas Departement of Housing and Cummunity Affairs (tdhca.com). I will be attending their next class to be held on Feb. 7 from 1:00-5:00 at the Holiday Inn - South. The fee is $125. Go to the site to print out the required form. You can also call them at 800-500-7074 or 512-475-2200. After that you have to post either a $50,000 or $100,000 bail which I have been told will require $1,000 out of pocket (not sure if this is accurate).

That’s all I have for now. Does anyone have anything else to add?

Re: FYI - Laws regarding selling of MH in Texas - Posted by Gene Sherf Houston, Ttx

Posted by Gene Sherf Houston, Ttx on January 17, 2000 at 13:06:41:

Hi Brad! Texas has a real strong pro consumer “habitabilty” law on used mh. Be careful & know it thoroughly before dealing in used mh!!!
It’s doable, but you have to take that course, spend a bunch of $$ on ins. & bonds, do a lot of CYA & do a buncha deals 1st year to cover up front costs. Sorry…
not as easy as it seems. Lonnie does admonish you in several areas of his books to “check with the local authorities as to what is req. in your state.” One guy in Spring, Tx (15 mi. from me) just lost $125,000 law suit over $7000 used mh sale relative to the habitability issue. The course is a good starting place. Then, if you are serious, join Manufactured Housing Assn in Austin for protective education & FORMS! Good Luck!!!

Re: Post “Bail”? OUCH! (smile) nt - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 17, 2000 at 12:56:05: