Georgia dealer license: is this info correct? - Posted by russ

Posted by Barry (GA) on July 16, 2007 at 07:40:57:

Russ,

You are welcome. Sorry, I don’t know Atlanta. I think maybe Anne is (was) working in that area. I would also try the big REI club up there. I think it is GAREI and they have a web site.
Barry

Georgia dealer license: is this info correct? - Posted by russ

Posted by russ on July 10, 2007 at 12:16:24:

Hi, newbie investor wondering about the dealership license requirements in Georgia. When I searched the archives, I got the impression that I would only need a dealer license if I did 3 or more deals per year. However, I called the Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner’s office today to find out the requirements, and was told that I would need a license to do even ONE (OR MORE). Georgia mobile home dealers, could you please confirm this? I would like to do at least 1 deal before getting a license.

thanks,
russ

Re: Georgia law - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on July 10, 2007 at 13:34:20:

Only needed if you are to be a Retail Broker or Retailer, which means selling 3 or more in a 12 month period. Don’t take my word for it, here is what Georgia law has to say about it.

O.C.G.A. § 8-2-131 (2006)
§ 8-2-131. Definitions

As used in this part, the term:

(8) “Retail broker” means any person engaged in the business of selling or offering for sale to consumers three or more new or used manufactured or mobile homes in a 12 month period and who does not maintain a display of manufactured or mobile homes. As used in this paragraph, the terms “selling” and “sale” include lease-purchase transactions, and the term “retail broker” does not include lending institutions.

(9) “Retailer” means any person engaged in the business of selling or offering for sale to consumers three or more new or used manufactured or mobile homes in a 12 month period and who maintains a display of manufactured or mobile homes. As used in this paragraph, the terms “selling” and “sale” include lease-purchase transactions, and the term “retailer” does not include lending institutions.

The laws then go into licensing needed for a Retailer or Broker. Looks to me that if you do not meet these definitions then you don’t need no stink’in license. So, I would say do 1 or 2 and see how you like it. Then get licensed as a Broker if you plan to continue.

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp
Look under Title 8, Chap. 2, article 2. Lots of info there.

Re: Georgia law - Posted by russ

Posted by russ on July 10, 2007 at 14:36:08:

Barry,

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

By the way, do you know any mobile home investor community or association here in Atlanta, GA? It would help a lot if there were opportunities to network with investors who are familiar with the local market.

russ