Georgia tax lien's - Posted by Kevin

Posted by tb on April 04, 2000 at 21:34:20:

Hi Kevin,

You might also want to pick up a copy of “The 16% Solution” by Joel S. Moskowitz,J.D. at Amazon.com.

He has a 13 page section devoted soley to Georgia
in which the sheer difficulty of first simply describing Georgia`s peculiar methods are described by a former Sheriff of Cobb County, who also happens to be a Tax Commissioner as well.

Good luck!

tb

Georgia tax lien’s - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on April 04, 2000 at 15:03:59:

Hello to all
My name is Kevin and I am in Columbus Georgia(Ft. Benning).
I went to the conference in Atlanta and had a great time. I have been researching the statues on tax liens here in Georgia since then. Recently I have obtained the tax lien list for this county along with the Georgia code covering tax’s. The Tax commisioners office insists that the Sheriffs dept. conducts the tax lien sales and the sheriffs office says they have nothing to do with it.Have bounced back and forth between them a couple of times.Now the commisioners office says that the law was never intended for people to end up owning property this way and that the liens never go to sale anyway. He has repeatedly told me why this is not a good idea for me to do and how i’m never going to end up with anything anyways.As i read the code the delinquent tax could be paid by me,I have to hold it for at least 1 year then it goes to public sale, The winning bidder holds it for another year then starts procedding’s to get the deed.I know there is more involved with notification requirements and all. If there is anyone that is doing tax liens in Georgia or has experience with them I would like to talk to you. Feel free to E-mail me. If anyone is in a REI club in this end of the state feel free to contact me also.I tried the link from this site but the contact moved. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Georgia tax lien’s - Posted by Tim (Atlanta)

Posted by Tim (Atlanta) on April 05, 2000 at 07:14:43:

I have been buying tax liens in Ga for the past year or so. You might or might not be able to do this in your county. I know this sounds strange, but each county does it differently. Some counties only have one tax lien auction a year. They don’t advertise when or where or what properties are involved. If you don’t know where to look, it can be hard to find. That is to discourage the average Joe from getting into this.

I am familiar with the way Cobb and Gilmer counties do things. I don’t buy too many of these, so I wouldn’t know about the Columbus area. One thing you will need to know is when and where the county advertises the sales. They must put the tax lien auction notices in the “county legal organ” newspaper. You should be able to find this out by calling the tax commissioner. Here in Cobb, the leaders are very open about these sales and encourage investors to attend. Most of the time, there are only one or two tax liens on the sale, and they are on some 10 foot wide strip of swamp land located in the middle of a subdivision. Not exactly a property you want to own. Speaking of owning, are you trying to use tax liens as a way to buy real estate? Or are you looking for the great returns? By the way, here in GA, you can hold a tax lien for as little as 14 months, and earn 60% return. You earn 20% per year that the lien is held and an additional 20% if you start the foreclosure process. Not a bad return if you ask me. The only problem is finding and buying the liens.

I have never heard of your idea of paying the delinquent tax, then the tax lien goes to public sale. If you pay the delinquent tax, why would the county put the tax lien up for auction? From what I understand, I buy the lien, then hold it for 1 year, then start the redemption process, ending up with a deed to the property. I do agree with your commissioner, it is highly unlikely that you will end up with property from these liens. You would be better off shopping the foreclosure listings.

One other thing, I don’t know if you have found the web site GTSWEB.COM. They list the properties on tax auctions coming up in several counties around Georgia. I hope this idea takes off. Sure makes it a lot easier to find out how many tax liens will be for sale in a given month.

Re: Georgia tax lien’s - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on April 04, 2000 at 21:28:39:

Hi Kevin,

I know a little about Florida Tax liens, however after recommending them to my sister in Ga., she had a similar experience in Henry County, and she alluded to politics and ‘fishiness’ (like Ben). I thought she was eating too many peaches, as usual there is probably some merit, . What are the statute #'s and code #'s relating to Tax Certificates and sales in Georgia??

Thanks,

Walt_FL

Sounds fishy to me… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 04, 2000 at 20:10:47:

a lot of government officials look out for their
“locals” (their buddies and friends) so they can pick up all the deals. Don’t be dissuaded by this. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about Georgia but Roy who runs taxsales.com buys liens and deeds all over the country.I’m sure he can steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

Re: Georgia tax lien’s - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on April 05, 2000 at 10:54:37:

Tim,

Beautiful! Thanks, here in Fl you must hold the cert a minimum of 2 years then you MAY foreclose, causing a public sale/auction.

All the Best,

Walt

Ps The season is arriving…

Re: Sounds fishy to me… - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on April 04, 2000 at 20:29:42:

Ben
Thanks for the reply. I got one of Roy’s Georgia course’s and It has helped alot too get me this far. Hadnt thought of asking there though. Thanks again
Kevin.