Get a Realtor License? - Posted by Ann

Posted by DaveD (WI) on April 03, 2006 at 09:58:30:

This question has been addressed ad nauseum. Check out realtor license or broker license in the archives. Hundreds of threads.

Get a Realtor License? - Posted by Ann

Posted by Ann on April 03, 2006 at 09:16:08:

Is it common for investors to hold a real estate license just for the personal gains of monitoring the MLS, finding leads early, knowing the industry from the inside?
I am a new investor, looking to get into residential rehabs and possibly later on to commercial landlording. I am wondering if it would be worth pursuing a license to enhance my industry knowledge. I have no interest in being a buyers/sellers agent.

Re: Get a Realtor License? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on April 05, 2006 at 11:24:22:

The one thing you should watch out for is possible higher liability. If you had a great deal and the seller all of a sudden feels he/she was taken advantage off and takes you to court. The court may find that since you have an active license you should be held to a higher standard due to the learning process of becoming an agent.
As far as the MLS goes, it’s not technically right but if you have a good friend that’s a realtor, they may let you use their login from time to time to peruse.

Re: Get a Realtor License? - Posted by RogerTX

Posted by RogerTX on April 03, 2006 at 18:08:17:

I know plenty that don’t. The only way to know the industry from the inside is do do deals and you don’t need a license to do that. You only get some leads early, others you miss out on entirely.

If you have no interest in being an agent you’ve really answered your own question. Spend your time and money on learning with a mentor.

Just my worthless and unhumble opinion. And certainly do what Dave said.