Getting a title when you can't find the VIN

Is it possible to get a title when you can’t find the VIN? I came across a home, vacant for a long time, previous seller died, and no sign of the title. The park owner has has title rights due to abandonment, back pad rent, etc. He has done the mail notice, letter, etc. Is it possible to get an actual title though? Or is the only option a salvage title when there is no VIN visible, and no record of this home anywhere? Could I call the state and ask them to “look it up” by way of previous owner or address? I work with this park owner, and am hoping to get this home cheap, but only want to pursue it if I can be sure I get something besides a salvage title. Any ideas?

This solution to this problem may vary by location. If your state allows the park owner to obtain an abondonment title you should be in good shape.

The VIN should be stamped on the frame somewhere near the tongue (hitch). I have not had much luck finding these myself so I just pass this suggestion along.

If your state taxes personal property such as cars and mobile homes there may be a record of the home with the make, model, vin etc. filed under the address and home owner’s name.

In many states the title is issued by DMV just like a car and if you can find someone at the agency willing to help you, you may be able to find the information based again on the owner’s name and address.

There may be other suggestions but maybe one of these can get you started and lead you to other solutions.

Tony

widemanb,
In Ohio, the DMV won’t give out any information (claiming privacy act etc.) unless you have an unusually cooperative clerk. However, all titles have to run through the auditor’s office. The auditor’s clerks will often be more helpful if the info is in their files (but it is not always there like it should be).

The VIN is supposed to be stamped on the front cross frame like Tony says. I have only found a few. One way is to wire brush some of the rust off, take white spray paint, paint the beam, then sand it down with a 40 grit sanding block. The ID will show up IF ITS THERE. I have done this a number of times with occasional success. I have also looked for the ususal horizontal ID when they had stamped it vertically! I found a 1974 factory paper ID tag GLUED to the frame. Its amazing it never fell off. I have found the ID sheet on the inside of a kitchen cabinet, on a side where one would not intuitively look. I have found an ID sheet on the BACK of a slide up cover for the electrical panel.

Good Luck,
Steve