getting inside the house - Posted by SteveW

Posted by Kristine-CA on February 19, 2002 at 09:09:54:

Tracy: For me, getting into abandoned houses has depended on the situation. Houses in the middle of nowhere I’ve had no problem entering. Even though it is most definitely trespassing. But houses in neighborhoods, I’ve always gotten someone’s permission before I break in. I find the owner or a relative and ask if it’s ok if I try to get in. They are usually ok with this because they are far away and I’m the only person calling. I’d be very, very careful about doing in this broad daylight. If it upsets the neighbors and the owner get wind of it, the deal is off to a bad start.

Just my opinions here. Sincerely, Kristine

getting inside the house - Posted by SteveW

Posted by SteveW on February 18, 2002 at 18:51:34:

One thing I’m unsure of is if you’re making a lot of offers
but not wanting to run your realtor ragged, then are you usually not getting inside the house? Thanks!

Re: getting inside the house - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 19, 2002 at 08:17:13:

It is possible to make an offer conditional on inspection, without ever looking inside. There are investors who do this all the time. If the inside is way worse than they thought, they adjust the price or drop the deal.

crazy question - Posted by Tracy

Posted by Tracy on February 18, 2002 at 22:42:39:

If you are dealing with an abandoned house, does anyone ever just pick the lock?

Tracy

Re: getting inside the house - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 18, 2002 at 19:13:08:

If you are making a lot of offers through one agent, many can arrange to let you sign for a key. You need a good relationship. Some agencies will want you to leave your driver’s license at the office until you return the key. RE agents use their state license card.