getting out of two person lease - Posted by Jessica

Posted by John Merchant on August 30, 2003 at 13:31:22:

Although I’m sure not in favor of folks who first want to take advantage of a situation, and have a Landlord accept them, even though they ARE underage; then welch on their deal when it suits them (is this pinching you a little bit? Great!)the law in most states does protect an innocent minor who’s taken advantage of by a seller/lessor, etc.

Of course it’s YOU who’s taken advantage of the LL here, as you well know.

So yes, you can probably sneak away from this deal by just notifying the LL that you were underaged when you signed, had not been legally “emancipated” by formal marriage or court order, and you are not going to be honoring your contract.

But if you do, I expect you’ll reap the rewards of your conduct the next time your wanting a LL to rent to you. If it were me, knowing what you’ve done, I’d want no part of you as my tenant.

getting out of two person lease - Posted by Jessica

Posted by Jessica on August 30, 2003 at 12:36:05:

I recently signed a lease with my boyfriend before I turned 18 yrs old. I now want out of the lease. Can I get my name off of the lease, but still have his name on there? Can I get off of the lease because i wasn’t 18 when i signed it, or does that matter? Please help me.