getting real estate license - Posted by Abe A

Posted by phil fernandez on May 30, 1999 at 16:47:56:

Abe,

Forget about getting the real estate license. Do you want a JOB or do you want to make money with real estate investing.

If you acquire your real estate license there are disclosure issues involved when you make offers on real estate for your own portfolio. With a real estate license you are held to a higher degree of accountability. If you get sued you are at a disadvandage with our liberal judges and court system.

I had a license and even though I flushed it down the toilet 4 years ago because I had a license I am still held to have superior knowledge. Not good if you find yourself in court. Seems like once you have a real estate license it will be with you until the day you die.

Don’t get it.

getting real estate license - Posted by Abe A

Posted by Abe A on May 30, 1999 at 16:33:35:

I was thinking about going to a class to get my real estate license when I saw Ron LeGrand’s infomercial. I went to his seminar, and now I don’t know what to do. Should I get my license? If I get my license, is there a legal obligation on my part to not participate in something that Ron is teaching (conflict of interest or etc.)? Is it better to not have it? Is it better to get that and forget about the Ron LeGrand stuff???

So many questions!!!

Whatever you do, don’t forget the Legrand stuff!(nt) - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on June 01, 1999 at 01:06:32:

nt

Re: getting real estate license - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 30, 1999 at 17:49:40:

I agree with Phil, there are a lot of disclosures and legalities in being licensed.

However, I am a Realtor and highly recommend it. Three great benefits of being a Realtor:

(1) Direct access to the MLS database. You can look up properties for sale, expireds, comparables. You can word search for “foreclosure, vacant, motivated, handyman special, etc.”

(2) You can go into the properties without having some agent tagging along with you. I can walk through 15 properties on a given day and don’t have to have some agent breathing down my neck expecting me to be submitting a contract by the time I hit number 4 or 5.

(3) I get to keep part of the commission. If I buy a $100,000 property and my commission as a buyer’s broker is 3.5%, I automatically get back a $3,500 check at the closing table.

Just my thoughts on the issue.