Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Brent_IL on January 16, 2001 at 19:30:11:

The bill paying part of Section 8 is fine. However, as a group, Section 8 tenants have more repairs than most others. Reasons vary; more kids, less money to repair or maintain things, a tendency to not rock-the-boat by calling the landlord, thereby allowing a small repair to grow much larger. This isn’t a condemnation of all Section 8 tenants, just a fact of rental life.

Section 8 no longer pays to repair your property if it gets trashed.

Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on January 15, 2001 at 16:08:19:

Hello gang,

Here’s a quick question for you: What is the process that I’d have to go through to get rid of tenants in a multi-unit that I’m interested in? I’d like the current tenants to leave and I’d like to put Section 8 tenants in there.

Do I just let them know that when their lease is up that they have to leave or what? What is the proper and polite way to kick someone out of their home?

Thanks,

CAREY

P.S. Please remind me that I shouldn’t feel guilty or anything because it’s simply business.

In Pennsylvania… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on January 16, 2001 at 06:55:54:

all existing leases must be honored by new owner. And in the absense of a lease 30 days notice to terminate is required. If the tennats don’t leave, you can go to the district justice on the 31st day and file for eviction. hth

Re: Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by TD

Posted by TD on January 15, 2001 at 22:05:41:

You really ought to do more research before you kick out paying working tenants and replace them with deadbeat welfare cases on Section 8 subsidy.

Check out http://www.mrlandlord.com for more info about the horror stories surrounding Section 8 - just go to their bulletin board and read away.

TD

Re: Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 15, 2001 at 16:30:23:

Essentially you are going to give the tenant written notice terminating their tenancy upon the expiration of their lease. This notice will probably need to be 30 days (or more), and may be required to be in a certain format. This should all be set forth in your landlord-tenant act in Pennsylvania.

It is important that this notice for terminating tenancy be in the correct legal format for Pennsylvania, because you will later use it to file an unlawful detainer action when and if the tenant does not vacate the unit.

Check out your landlord-tenant law in Pennsylvania.

JPiper

Re: Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 15, 2001 at 16:15:24:

Carey, in most places you have to honor the existing lease when you buy a property.

Stacy

Re: Getting rid of tenants in multi-unit - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on January 16, 2001 at 14:41:47:

TD,

You really ought to do more research before you categorize ALL people that are in the Section 8 program. I’m accquainted with a couple people that have Section 8 housing, and guess what? They are decent, hard-working people that pay their bills on time.

CAREY