Getting Started- L/O's - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 15, 1999 at 05:42:55:

Jim,

Nice meeting you too! Thanks for the input, I’ll check it out. Let me know how things are going!

John Hyre

Getting Started- L/O’s - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 14, 1999 at 10:21:17:

Hi Everyone!

Bad News: It’s Sunday and I’m the office doing stuff that is dry even by the low standards of the tax profession. That means that I’m NOT looking for deals today (although Carolina, my wife, IS).

Good News: We paid off our last credit card Saturday and spent the day looking for L/O possibilities and MH parks (seperate post).

Findlay is a small (40,000) town in a rural area (45 min to Toledo, 90 min to Columbus). It’s a seller’s market and houses sell at Columbus-Cleveland like prices because Marathon Oil and Cooper Tire have some or all of their HQ functions here.

Looked in the paper- only 7 FSBO’s. Called 'em all, none are motivated (yet) because have only been on the market for a few weeks. Drove around and found some that were not advertised- not motivated, but overly optimistic (they didn’t even advertise!), so may be good prospects down the road. We are coming out of winter, so more should be on the market in the next two months.

We did find one house in nice area were price was dropped from $230k to $190k (reasonable range for that area). Owners are making payments on empty house. Risk- that and the surrounding houses are OLD and very maintenance-prone. It’s listed, realtor has not called us back yet.

We will put adds in the paper next week- “Making payments on an empty house? Stop the bleeding! We can help NOW!”. Will also use ads suggested in Bronchick’s L/O course. Wife is getting out-of-state owners from courthouse during the week, will mail postcards per Bronchick’s course.

I realize this will take time and we’ll get lot’s of “no’s” before we get a “yes”. Anything else we should be doing to tilt the odds? Suggestions welcome!

John Hyre

Take a look a LeGrand’s Guerrilla Marketing course. - Posted by Jim Kennedy

Posted by Jim Kennedy on March 14, 1999 at 11:24:50:

John,
It was a pleasure meeting you in Dallas, even if it was only briefly.

As for additional ideas to “tilt the odds”, take a look at Ron LeGrand’s Guerrilla Marketing for Real Estate Entrepreneurs. I just finished going through it and got lots of great tips. I don’t know if it is available through CREOnline. If not, try www.success-di.com which is LeGrand’s website.

Best of success with your real estate investing!!

Jim Kennedy