Getting Started- MH's - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by Tony C on March 15, 1999 at 19:52:41:

Drop me a line and maybe we could share some ideas. I am a “newbie” in Columbus, and have many questions (maybe some good ideas as well.) I have some knowledge of your area, I went to BG, and used to live in Toledo.

Thanks, TC

Getting Started- MH’s - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 14, 1999 at 10:33:34:

Hi Everyone!

We have 5 MH parks in Findlay. Three are high end and in GREAT demand due to Findlay’s relatively expensive housing market (for rural Ohio). Owners permit only owner-OCCUPANTS. All homes for sale in these parks were listed and $20k+. Must be home in park OR new home from owners. Anything to be done? Or are these parks too “nice” and locked by owner-restrictions? Lonnie seems to suggest mid-level parks in his books.

Other 2 parks are opposite extreme- NASTY with frequent visitation by Findlay law enforcement personnel. Saw 2 FSBO. Will call out of curiosity. Noticed opposing views in prior posts- some like very low end, others avoid them. Any advice?

There are lot’s of parks within 30 miles of Findlay, so I’ll find some middle ground on subsequent searches. As Dave Segars told me, not all parks are listed in Big Book, so there are even MORE than I thought- I just have to run into them. If need be, I’ll go to parks 60+ minutes out- I WILL find a place to do deals. All comments appreciated- unless you are Steve Meiners.

John Hyre

Re: Getting Started- MH’s - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 14, 1999 at 20:34:35:

Why don’t you just buy those “nasty” parks and clean them up ? Then you can control your own spaces for MH deals.
Doug

Re: Getting Started- MH’s - Posted by Tony (OH)

Posted by Tony (OH) on March 14, 1999 at 18:30:36:

Just curious…Have you checked Lima (south) or Wood Co. (north)? Also, you’re not that far from areas outside of Toledo that may be very good (I was thinking about Delta/Wauseon area?)

P.S. If you read this Dirk Roach, what area are you from?

Thanks, Tony C

Hmmmm… - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on March 14, 1999 at 11:45:04:

Hi JHyre,
Your homeowner will own their mobile, and should occupy it. You will retain title. However what you’re probably running into, as it has been in my experience here in San Diego, in high-end parks, is the in-house Park Dealer. Talk about a park presence, these guys usually either share an office with the Park Manager or have one right next door. Let me put it this way there is always a way, but sometimes the headaches are simply not worth the trouble.
Anyhow I agree with Lonnie in that Mid-level parks are the way to go.
But before you pass on the nasty parks, please reevaluate your “nasty” parks. Sure, to either you or me, a certain park may seem “nasty” when we’re starting out, but it may have potential.
As far as law enforcement goes, as part of your due diligence in learning your market check with your local sheriff or police or whatnot and find out a general idea of the nature of calls. I can live with domestic disturbance calls, as opposed to high-end violence calls (rape, murder, drug trafficking, genocide etc.)
I think you’re in the right mindset though as far as driving, is concerned.
I like Findley a lot (as I mentioned to you at the convention). You have a few good industrial players there, and in my experience, blue-collar workers, seem to find Lonnie-type deals appealing.
Just a couple thoughts in regard to your post,
Dirk Roach

Re: Getting Started- MH’s - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 15, 1999 at 05:40:58:

Doug,

I was thinking along those lines. We’ll see how receptive the owner is- turns out he owns ALL the parks in town. Thanks for the input!

John Hyre

Hi Tony :slight_smile: - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on March 14, 1999 at 20:15:11:

Hi Tony,
I’m in the Suburb City of El Cajon Ca, just outside of San Diego.
I think you guys have a good target area of Findley, Lima, and Wood County.
Looking at my facts here I’m seeing:
Wood County
113,269 (population)
6,076 (employed in the manufacturing/repair industry) 10.91% of the Occupation market
8,911 (Machine/operators/labors) 15.99% of the O.M.
Dominant industries are manufacturing (20.75%) and the Service field (36.50%)

Findlay
48,159 (population)
3,400 (in the Service field of occupation) 14.23%
2,816 (Manufacturing/repair) 11.78%
4,436 (Machine operators/labors) 18.75%
$48,400 Median Home Value
Dominate industries include 5.55% (Construction), 23.14% (manufacturing), 30.05% (Service)

Lima
79,312 (population)
5,446 (Service field of total occupation) 16.87%
4,040 (Manufacturing/repair field of Occupation) 12.51%
6,515 (Machine operators/labors field of Occupation) 20.17%

$52,353 Medium Home Value
Dominant Industries include (Service) 28.02%, (Manufacturing) 24.75%, and (Construction) 6.51%

Anyhow that is what I’m turning up. Basically though, I see a good potential segment of the population, which maybe attracted to Lonnie Type deals. I would of course check on what 2bed room apartments are running for in your area, to give you a good playing field of where you want these peoples housing expenses to be.
Anyhow Good luck,
Dirk Roach

Re: Getting Started- MH’s - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on March 15, 1999 at 09:02:57:

Excellent ! Sounds like just the kinda guy I’d like to take out for coffee ASAP! Keep us posted and Good Luck
Doug

Re: Facts… - Posted by KevinMiami

Posted by KevinMiami on March 16, 1999 at 16:00:58:

Where do you get those facts from. Is it a database targeting RE, is it available on the 'net?

Thanks Dirk & Tony - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 15, 1999 at 05:39:08:

Dirk,

As always, your posts are way helpful. I appreciate the input. There are so many parks around here, I need to flip a coin to figure which way to drive!

Tony- thanks for the input. If you live near here, maybe we should do the beer thing.

John Hyre