GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by Natalie

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 15, 1999 at 14:28:37:

That’s one of my favorite books (I think) because that was the book I was reading when the real estate ‘bug’ bit me (in the late 80’s).

I had bought several properties before that time but they were mainly to just 'put a roof over my head…nothing more.

C-ya

GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by Natalie

Posted by Natalie on December 15, 1999 at 09:32:42:

Hello all,

I am basically itching to get started in this business and get the ball rolling…have lots of ideas and plans - but, alas, don’t have any funding (that’s how most people start, huh?). Are there any investors out there willing to assist a newbie? I’m in Atlanta, Georgia. What about hard money lenders? Do you need credit to qualify? HELP!!!

Natalie

Re: GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by Wambrly Wampsaddle

Posted by Wambrly Wampsaddle on December 16, 1999 at 21:06:19:

Ever hear of a book called No Down! No New Loan! (?)

Dadgum that’s a good’n for those with no money or credit! Dang! And that author…what a fantastic person!

Wamberly

Here is a book you might find interesting reading… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 15, 1999 at 11:40:05:

It’s called Nothing Down in the 80’s. (There is a ‘sequel’ out called: Nothing Down in the 90’s…but I liked the 80’s one better.) Gives ideas on buying properties with no money.

Can’t for the life of me remember the author’s name: Robert something or other??

Good luck to you.

Re: GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on December 15, 1999 at 10:38:55:

I’m in Atlanta too, and have been studying investing for over a year. In the last six months, I’ve bought or taken control of five properties.

The key is proper education. This site, as well as the Georgia Real Estate Investors Association, have been the educational key for me. Join GAREIA and you will be able to get all the help you need.

Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions. I do know of hard money lenders in this area and how they work.

Re: GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by elena

Posted by elena on December 15, 1999 at 09:46:58:

Hi Natalie, I’m in a similar position. I’m planning on attending a local real estate club meeting that happily is NOT taking the holidays off. From the reading that I’ve done, that’s a pretty good way to meet investors. The meeting is 12/21 (and I learned about it from theses posts), I’ll let you know how it goes.

Re: Here is a book you might find interesting reading… - Posted by Richard Adams (WA)

Posted by Richard Adams (WA) on December 15, 1999 at 19:17:01:

The guy who wrote that is of course, Robert G. Allen. That was one of the first real estate books I ever read–and boy it sure opened MY eyes.

For beginners, he wrote another book, which I liked even better, called “The Challenge”. It’s quite autobiographical. He issued a Challenge, that he could take someone broke and unemployed, straight out of the Unemployment line, train that person, and in 90 days that person will have $5,000 cash in the bank from real estate, never to walk into an unemployment line again. I’ve never seen another book like it (outside the $100+ home study courxes) that shows so much of the nuts-and-bolts of how to get started in real estate. It’s still my all-time favorite real estate book.

The book is out of print now–but some libraries have it–and they do interlibrary loans. Used bookstores also will often have it–or can conduct a search for a used copy for sale for you. I hope some day it’s in print again.

Hope this helps,
–Richard Adams

Robert Allen is the authors name (nt) - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on December 15, 1999 at 12:03:47:

nt

Re: GETTING STARTED!!! - Posted by LaRica

Posted by LaRica on December 15, 1999 at 10:19:57:

Hi Natalie!

I live in Tucson, Az. I am just getting started myself and from what I have read, in the beginning you want to gain knowledge but self realization is the ultimate key. I have never done this before but I have made up my mind to just do it! I have two properties I want to flip. I am going to start with someone similar to myself, a beginner. I am going to call some realtors and see who is new. My first question for the newbie will be how can I help you? I will play it by ear from there based on what I have learned from these postings.

I wish you the best in your new endeavors. I hope something I said helped you want to go ahead and dive in.

Think I will try to track down that book. Sounds great! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 16, 1999 at 14:09:39:

I had never heard of it before. Thanx!

R.G.A.'s book sure motivated me!! I had tried a ‘nothing down’ offer on a duplex I bought several years ago—and the deal went through (much to my husband’s UTTER disbelief!!). He STILL talks about it!

These ideas and techniques that the gurus promote CAN and DO work. All it takes is the courage to try them out for the first time then tailor them to fit your own needs.

Susan