GETTING STARTED - Posted by Zac

Posted by Zack W on March 09, 2002 at 15:19:45:

No. We are in PA.

Zack

GETTING STARTED - Posted by Zac

Posted by Zac on March 08, 2002 at 15:11:59:

Good evening. I have been following this site for over a year now. I have learned much but the main thing I’ve learned is that no matter how much I read and study the info…nothing will happen until I get out there and, like Nike, “just do it”. There in lies my delimma. How and where do I start? Do I get a lawyer first…hit the county clerk’s office…contact the banks for their REO listing? What would any of you who’ve done some deals suggest to a newbie such as myself? I’m very eager to get stared and I believe in my soul that real estate is my escape route from the “rat-race”. Sorry this posting is a bit lengthy. Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered.Thanx and much success to you all.

PS: (Yesterday I was fired from my $5.00/hr. job and my fear of being broke is my only motivation.)

Re: GETTING STARTED - Posted by Zack W.

Posted by Zack W. on March 08, 2002 at 18:23:15:

Zac,

Great name.

Getting started is not black and white. It is not done overnight. The fact that you are amitious and eager to learn will help you. Rather than give you advice on what I think you should do, I am going to tell you a story about my uncle.

My uncle built a new house about 6 months ago and had the family over to see it. While there I noticed the Carleton Sheets course on his shelf. I asked what he thought about it and he said he just got it in the mail that day.

After an hour or two of small talk with the fam, we went to his home office and began to talk. I told him what I was doing and he was super impressed. He said he had been interested in real estate for 20 years, but never got going with it.

To make a long story short, he has since bought 6 foreclosures, tied one up on an option and made $6,000 for about an hours worth of work, and is currently rehabbing 3 houses. He did this with NO MONEY, I know because when he ran out of hard money and tapped his line of credit dry, I funded him.

I am very proud of my uncle [Ed Case], and he knows it. Sure, I helped him and gave him advice, BBUUTT, he put in the time. He read books, bought courses, asked questions, and got to know his market. He now, after 2 months into this thing, knows his stuff. He knows values, he knows exit strategies, he know about the paperwork and what it means.

How did he accomplish this? He busted his A** to learn the business. He sacrificed his time and energy into making it work. He networked, asked questions, made offers, drove neighborhoods, and didnt stop until he knew this stuff. He slept probably 2-3 hours a night. My uncle is an extreme example, but, he wanted to do this biz, and he is now FULL TIME.

Zac, if you want to learn your at the right place. This website and the people who run it are fantastic. You are in good hands here. Are you going to Atlanta? If so, I will intriduce to my uncle, he is super cool.

Zack W.

Re: GETTING STARTED - Posted by Aaron

Posted by Aaron on March 08, 2002 at 17:20:19:

Grab a newspaper and start calling all the FSBOs and try to get the properties Sub2.

Re: GETTING STARTED - Posted by Ian(Honolulu)

Posted by Ian(Honolulu) on March 09, 2002 at 05:11:23:

Zack,
You’re not referring to the Ed Case in Hawaii that’s the father of America Online CEO Steve Case are you? He’s an acquaintance, and has never said anything about investing in real estate. Just checking.

-Ian