Getting title... suggestions? - Posted by Dale

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on June 18, 2003 at 22:31:16:

…and remember the escrow company can just as easily be in your town as theirs. If they refuse an escrow they may be CROOKS. Report them immediately to everyone you can think of starting with that state’s bar association and attorney general. Some states use attorney escrows and that is ok IF it isn’t the same attorney who you are buying from or his brother-in-law who also happens to be an attorney. Ask for your own local escrow company. They may tell you to take a swim, but TRY, …and take lots of care. Call his state’s bar association and ask if the guy is even a licensed lawyer and verify his business address, and that he is in good standing with the bar assn.

Regards, doc

Getting title… suggestions? - Posted by Dale

Posted by Dale on June 18, 2003 at 21:47:34:

Buying an older home in good park from the executor of an estate who lives on the west coast… Am sending along a sales agreement with small deposit. How can I ensure a smooth transfer of title upon payment of balance when seller is 3,000 miles away? Executor seems honest, but am reluctant to send along a certified check for balance without getting title at same time.

Dale in SW Pa.

Lawyer escrow suggestions - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on July 08, 2003 at 09:03:29:

In my experience, escrow companies, at least here in WA, are normally NOT willing to act as escrow on personal property such as MHs. Too many institutional guidelines, not enough real know-how, except for what limited legal knowledge their LPO’s possess re RE deals, and it just wouldn’t pay them to mess with MHs.

Therefore I had a chat with the escrow “dept” at my lawyer’s office, the gal who heads up their RE escrow operations, of which they do a large number.

We made a deal whereby they’d do a MH escrow for $150, handling money, title, making sure they had signatures as required, when required, before delivering money, etc.

So my guess is, if you’ll ask around, you can find/make a similar arrangement that will protect you & the folk you’re dealing with. And one that a smart RE lawyer might profit from also.