GFI plug tripping? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by John J on March 20, 2001 at 24:12:05:

That’s excactly what happened to me today. I replaced the bathroom outlet with a GFI and it tripped. I had six outlets and a bedroom light in line following the GFI. I just followed the line and disconnected/reconnected the black wire from each outlet until the GFI did not trip anymore. I replaced the faulty outlet, which solved the problem. To determine if you have a faulty GFI or if the problem is down the line, plug the wires for the downline in the same screws on the GFI as the incoming wires. This way the downline will not be GFI protected, but it is better to solve the problem. Also check to make sure that you have not reversed the power in and power out wires on the GFI. The screws that the downline wires go into would have had a sticker over them.

GFI plug tripping? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on March 18, 2001 at 13:14:49:

I just simply replaced a wall outlet with a GFI outlet. When I push the reset button in it trips itself. There is also still power at the outlet after it has tripped. There are four wires two black and two white. The line and load are in the correct position. I replaced the one in the kitchen with no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

LeonNC

Re: GFI plug tripping? - Posted by JPinPa

Posted by JPinPa on March 18, 2001 at 18:39:09:

Leon,

If it is feasible, remove the one in the kitchen that is working and try that one in its place. It sounds like you have a faulty GFI (not unheard of).

If that doesn’t work it is a wiring problem. Double check which wires are the line side. If that is okay, go purchase a circuit tester that simply pugs into an outlet. For under $10.00 this little gadget will tell you if there is an open ground, open neutral, or if the hot and neutral are reversed somewhere in line. Your problem may be at an improperly wired outlet in line.

Caution: If you are unsure or not familiar with electrical repairs, contact a licensed electrican.

Good luck,

JPinPA

Re: GFI plug tripping? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on March 18, 2001 at 20:48:19:

JPinPA,

Thank-you! I have tried the tester and it shows everything is good. Hopefully it is the GFI outlet. I’ll also try any other outlets that might be in-line with the GFI. Can switches in-line with the outlet also be a cause?

LeonNC