giving a house away - Posted by Richard P. Belliveau

Posted by Frank Chin on June 05, 2003 at 09:02:59:

Hi Richard:

Q: Also possible tax ramifications later on??

A: Plenty

To clarify, the giver is subject to gift taxes both on the Federal and State levels (depends on the state).

We had gifting done within our family, and we got the guidance of a CPA who’s also an attorney.

One person can gift another person $11,000 year tax free. And one person can gift more than $11,000 for the year, but that would reduce the unitary lifetime limit tied to taxable estate. Currently the limit increases every year to the year 2010 and it sunsets.

Thus, how the giting should be down is dependent on the estate issue of the giver. Other issues include whether your client is married and have children. For instance, Grandma can gift $11,000 each to her daughter, son in law, and each of the grandchildren.

So, I would suggest the advice of a CPA and or estate attorney to avoid problems.

Frank Chin

giving a house away - Posted by Richard P. Belliveau

Posted by Richard P. Belliveau on June 04, 2003 at 15:22:51:

Hello all. I have a friend that is giving her house to her daughter as a gift. It is ownded free and clear. I just wanted to know what form to use and how to help her go about this. I am not licensed as a broker. I am in the note business here in Nevada and she asked me to help her out. Any suggestions?? Also possible tax ramifications later on?? Thanks in advance.

Warmly,
Richard IN Vegas

Re: giving a house away - Posted by Mark Cooper

Posted by Mark Cooper on July 17, 2003 at 16:50:36:

I found this site the other day and its very informative
with an example which you have stated. GET A TRUST.
read the info here. and dont do anything till you do.
http://www.trustgordon.com/