Good opportunities in expensive area? - Posted by Mark

Posted by Willie on August 21, 2003 at 19:22:59:

Get outside of Stamford in the countryside and smaller towns. You may find something more to your liking.

Good opportunities in expensive area? - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on August 21, 2003 at 16:42:20:

I live in Stamford, CT, a relatively expensive part of CT due to its proximity to NYC. Average 2 family home may be more than 500K. As a first timer, I’m not ready for that. Other options include small apartments that are mostly condo and co-op. Anyone in similar circumstances with some advice.

Re: Good opportunities in expensive area? (CT) - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on August 23, 2003 at 11:14:58:

I live in Danbury, CT. The prices are high here too, but it is occasionally possible to find a deal. I would recommend Waterbury. The prices are beginning to go up there too, but from what I have heard there are still deals to be had! Gary

Check out the Hartford area - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on August 22, 2003 at 09:59:33:

Hi Mark:

My cousin lives in the Hartford area, and two years ago, when the markets in NYC, Stamford was sizzling, he sold his home for less than what he paid for it ten years ago to buy a new home. He had no problem as he got a good deal on his new home.

I recall reading the 2000 census data showing population declines in the northern half of CT vs sizable increases in the southern half.

Driving time to Hartford from Stamford is a little over a hour up Interstate 91.

Northern CT, western MA is far enough away commuting wise from Boston and NYC to make RE far more resonable. I also have family and property in western MA.

Frank Chin

Re: Good opportunities in expensive area? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on August 21, 2003 at 20:36:51:

Mark,

I used to live in the NYC area and its a tough market.

Did you ever consider going into some of the northern more “Rural” areas in CT. Its been a while since I lived in the NYC area but I’m sure there are still some deals out there.

I have family in Danbury and i think there are still some deals out that way. Maybe even a bit north of there.

Dont be afraid to go outside the area you live in. I do this in Florida all the time and still find the deals.

It is a bit tougher these days but not impossible.

Best of luck,

RichV(FL)