Good tenants gone bad... - Posted by Chris-Fl

Posted by Riki on August 27, 2003 at 23:12:36:

I agree with Nate, give 'em notice to scram and tighten the lease next time. Bad attitudes never get any better. Slack for hard times is one thing, no slack for slackers!

Good tenants gone bad… - Posted by Chris-Fl

Posted by Chris-Fl on August 27, 2003 at 09:28:18:

Wow…

I just returned from visiting 2 properties that I have begun to have problems with and thought I would share these things with the board. Here goes

Beautiful house #1:

Recieved a call from the neighbors that the t/b’s have a “big black dog” (it turned out to be about a 100 lb. rotweiller) that almost bit his wife and if I was going to do something with these guys in light of the “4 day long homicide investigation”. Uhh… I’ll get back to you…

I go over there and sure enough they have a huge dog in the window that I swear was about to come through the window. T/B not there left a message with some very out of character person who says the t/b is not home.

Beautiful house #2:

T/b was late on the rent but made good when I served a 3 day pay or vacate notice.

I go over there because this t/b who is a “handyman” was supposed to do some work (3 months ago) to the back patio area. I take full responsibility for not ensuring the work was done which it has not. I go back there and it started out as a 10 x 10 area of shingling that needed to be replaced along with plywood underneath in one spot. Now, there are geese living up there with a next, no shingles what so ever, and half of the wood missing. The neighbor said that this guy has had it like that since he moved in. The electric wiring that supplies the cieling fan and lighting with power? No worries… the neighbor said he turned off the electric… GRrrreat. All this was last night… T/b was no where to be found.

Today I go by there and knock on the door to find out what the heck is going on… Someone answers the door and when I ask where t/b is, I get an ear full of F you F this… I’m not his mother… go to _____ (a very warm place) and blah blah blah…

so… now I am here wondering what I have gotten myself into…

Just wanted to share my day with everyone…

Time on deck? 10:29
Chris

Not on lease = trespass. - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on August 27, 2003 at 14:07:08:

If the folks living there are not on the lease and the tenant doesn’t have the right to sub-let, call the cops and tell them that the house was abandoned and the people in the house are squatters. They’ll probably tell you to start a forcible detainer action, but you never know.

Re: Good tenants gone bad… - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on August 27, 2003 at 13:29:46:

Early on in our business (4 yrs ago) we had days similar to the one you are describing all too often. Then we decided no more Mr. Nice Guy and we strengthened our lease and schedule periodic inspections of the property…we schedule these inspections at the same time we sign the lease with the tenants. We also tell the tenants that we give the neighbors our phone number so that we can be notified if there’s a problem. In short, we put the fear of God in 'em and maybe we take it a bit far but things have gotten a lot better.

Use this as a learning experience…we’ll just call it a real life landlording seminar and think about how you’ll use this to make your business better. Small consolation but hope it helps…

Re: Good tenants gone bad… - Posted by doug,ky

Posted by doug,ky on August 27, 2003 at 10:41:38:

Sounds to me as if maybe your lease is not strong enough. I have provisions (clauses) about additional persons occuppying the property (costly). Also, I have a clause on animals restrictions and requirements. Again I make it very costly for the tenant to do this period.

Also, big dogs will tear the house up, and your insurance could drop you in a heart beat.

Sorry you are having a bad day.

Doug

Re: Good tenants gone bad… - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on August 27, 2003 at 09:57:35:

Looks like it’s time to get two more of those 3 day notices out and serve them.

Have fun! Sounds like just another fun day in the landlord business.
NT

Re: Good tenants gone bad… - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on August 27, 2003 at 19:31:44:

I don’t have any tenants and never have…but seriously-take control of YOUR property. For one thing I am not gonna let someone cuss me out on my own property…give them the notice and/or call the local authorities. You own the property…you should probably modify your lease agreements for the future to encompass possible “problem” tenants. Good luck.