Good time to be a Mobile Home Park Buyer?? - Posted by Matt

Posted by ray@lcorn on April 20, 2006 at 08:24:26:

Matt,

All of your questions have the same answer… it depends.

In general, there will rarely be an over-supply of parks because of the difficulty in getting approvals for new ones. For that same reason, yes, there is a lot of institutional interest because of the protected nature of existing parks.

That said, the REITs and large companies that operate parks will generaly not be interested in those of less than 100 spaces. (That number was 200 just five years ago, but because of the scarcity of product the bar can be lowered if they can find two or more parks in the same market and capture some economy of scale.) In my opinion the “sweet spot” for investors is in the 75-100 space range.

If you understand that each deal must be evaluated on it’s own merit, then you can understand that every local market has to be given the same consideration. That means that if the market is expoeriencing population growth, then the demand for housing will support a turnaround project. However, that assumes that you find one, get it bought, and know what to do with it. Most deals are created, not offered.

One of my favorite truisms is : “Opportunity, without the capacity to capture it, is an illusion.”

As a shameless plug, I wrote a book about MHPs designed specifically to increase your capacity. I guarantee it answers all your questions and more you haven’t thought of yet. See http://www.creonline.com/catalog/b-137.html

ray

Good time to be a Mobile Home Park Buyer?? - Posted by Matt

Posted by Matt on April 19, 2006 at 18:06:56:

Hello,
I live in Utah and have considered doing some Lonnie deals to build the skills for rehabbing a Mobile Home Park. Can anyone give advice as to how the Mobile Home Park market is these days(is there an over supply of parks or heavy interest from institutional buyers)?

I understand that each deal needs to be evaluated on its own merits–but can anyone speak to the overall fundamentals of the market? Do you believe there are a significant number of turnaround projects available at reasonable prices. I’d be interested in hearing from any of you who have,are,or will be looking for parks to buy.

Thanks–Matt