Got a great deal now what do I do? - Posted by Latrice

Posted by Greg Meade on September 28, 2003 at 09:41:43:

link and send me an adress i can send you dow. This will be my pleasure. the commitment i ask for this is that you read it. very few people on this board have not been right where you are at.
Doc is right on about this being a lifestyle change. Anyone can do a few deals and make a few bucks…this is not hard to do. What is very hard to do is amass wealth, and this is where it is at! Anyone depending on our gov. (socilal insecurity) to provide for them when old have a very rude awakening!
Will order dow mon., you will have by fri! God Bless

Got a great deal now what do I do? - Posted by Latrice

Posted by Latrice on September 25, 2003 at 14:46:20:

Found a 2000 Castle for sale by owner. Everything in place but the finance for a subprime borrower…that’s me! I’ve tried everything and don’t know what to do, except continue to keep the faith. Any advise on lenders I could contact? This mother, father, and 17 month old son would appreciate some advise on how to make this happen for us soon. We have no place to go.

First… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 25, 2003 at 19:10:52:

…let’s hear some numbers and see some plans. What are you trying to accomplish and why?

Regards, doc

Re: First… - Posted by Anneise Robinson

Posted by Anneise Robinson on September 26, 2003 at 08:57:03:

Good morning, Dr. Whisler. I thank you for responding to my message. My husband and I found a home on the web and contacted the owner who is selling it herself. Very sweet woman who just bought a ranch and has the home (Castle Mobile home) that she stayed in for about a year and did some major upgrading. The place is perfect for us. My husband and I are going into our second year of marriage with a 17-month-old son. Before we got married we both had some credit issues. Mine, mostly occurred during college so the majority of my issues are student loans and medical bills. I do have some other misc. items as well. My husband doesn’t have very much of a credit history and for some reason started process for bankruptcy a few years back. He never went through it because there was really no reason to file to begin with. He purchased a lemon vehicle that is still showing on his credit report and that was bothering him. We also owe monies on an apartment from back in 1997. We both would like desperately to consolidate our loans and get our credit back in shape. First, we would like to establish a family foundation with a place to call home. We found the perfect home to get us on the right track and to motivate us to do what we have to do to secure our son’s future. We didn’t grow up in families that stressed the values of society to make it in the world today, but we sure would like to instill them in our son. Our mission is simple. We want to be blessed with this home. It’s manufactured and on a lot at the moment but we plan to purchase land in the future, here in VA. Here is the information on the home:
2000 Castle 28X60 14500 Panagra Place Chantilly VA $89,999 (immaculate condition w/ extras)

Rose, the owner, is willing to finance half of the payment for us and we would need to come up with the other half. I wasn’t sure about that because that would mean us paying back two loans (if we were ever to find a lender). I did the math and think it would be better for us to find a lender for the whole amount (Plus deposit for the lot). I looked at figures with 4.5% interest and 8.5%. We feel we could handle both. I am an administrative assistant at NBC News and my Husband is Sous Chef at VA Oaks Country Club. I’ve been a on the job for 4 years and my husband 2 years. We are both very happy where we work and see futures in both positions. We also run a small catering business that hasn’t quite gotten off the ground yet, partially because we live in an apartment and cannot afford to rent out space to prepare food. We cook all catered meals from scratch and feed parties of up to 500 (info not needed but I love to brag on my husband who is an excellent cook). I’ve told you all of this in good faith to let you know that we do have a plan…we just need a chance. We were in a month-to-month lease in a condo owned by someone that needs to occupy it with family members ASAP. We had to move and are now staying in a motel. That’s not helping us keep money but there is not much we can do when they pull his report up and see that he owes that money for the apartment. My family is good people. We pray every night on this situation and have left it in God’s hands. We continue to keep the faith and we know that as soon as we begin to worry that means the faith is fading. I just need to know what we need to do to get this home. Time is/has run out and as we continue to pay for the hotel room the money is running out to. Again, I thank you for your response. If there is any source or contact that you could share with me to help us make this situation turn out to be a happily ever after for my family we would greatly appreciate it. I want my little linebacker to experience life the way he should and not be without just because of his parents past mistakes. We are so ready to make that happen. Sorry for the extended version of your request. I started typing and emotions took over my fingertips. Again, thank you for taking the time out to respond.

Sincerely,

Anneise Robinson
(Wife and mother on a mission)

There is a way out for you but you don’t see it. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 26, 2003 at 11:14:38:

Dear Anneise, I believe, I have been EXACTLY where you are now and I understand your dificulties better than you might suspect. Your current position is actually about the same position that I started from. I had to restart several times in fact, before I got it right. All of the oldtimers on this board already know what my answer to you will be, because they too have, been there and done that.

You post and long reply have kind of touched my heart. They remind me of my own beginnings, and how my mentor took so much of his valuable time to try to give me some direction. I have decided to take the morning off from work to try to do the same for you.

I suspect that there may be thousands of others out there who are in exactly the same spot as you find yourself in at this time. It is doubly frustrating because you read this board and dream that some day you will have investments and rental properties that will at once free you from a fate worse than death (having to hold a JOB) and give you the income to live the secure, happy, and prosperous lifestyle the every one of God’s children deserves.

People are in their present condition because of their past decisions and actions. They usually want to change results they get but not the actions they take. We kid a lot on this board as you probably know by now. We say that that is the definition of insanity, i.e, to make the same mistales over and over, yet hope to somehow get better results the next time. If you do the same things over and over you will get the SAME RESULTS, over and over. You will get the same results that brought you to where you are now, and they will KEEP you where you are now for the rest of your life.

This will be a good news, bad, news answer. It will bring you bad news because it won’t tell you what you probably want to hear. It will be a good news answer because it will show you the way out of your tight situation, but it will take time, and effort on your part.

To be a successful investor, we all new a little seed money to start. We can start without any credit or even with bad credit but we need a little capital for our first deal. Later as you gain more experience you will discover how to arrange deals and then use a partner’s capital (or credit cards), so you won’t actually need any cash of your own to invest. To start with no money requires a great deal of knowledge and experience, so it won’t be of as much help to you today as it will in the future.

To accumulate that first seed money, with which to get our start we all must follow the SAME, single guiding principal. We must spend less than we earn or we must earn more than we spend. Its easier said than done, especially at first because we need to CHANGE our earning and SPENDING habits. Habits are called habits, because they are so hard to break :~). Like the bars on a prision cell, our habits can keep us imprisioned in poverty and want, for all of out lives. It takes a BURNING DESIRE to break free from them. I suspect that like me, you have been highly motivated to improve you lot in life by the birth of your wee one. It was when my first child was born that I did some deep thinking, and made up my mind that one day I wanted to be filthy rich. Its OK to say I want to be rich. Its OK to have ambition in life. We all have destinies in life. Maybe it was more than just accident that brought you here, in search of a new and better future. It is an absolute CERTAINTY, that we here on this board can teach you how to become as rich as you want to be. Fortunately for us, it YOU who has to do all the hard work :~). It WILL be lots of hard work, but if WE have done it, then so can YOU.

Ok, Anneise, here is your answer short and simle. You must control your cost of living better than you are doing now and paning to do in the near future. You must NOT buy a $90,000 mobile home at this stage of your financial life. If you do, it will mean the death of your dreams of a better future for you and your family. We can teach you how to buy a mobile home that is probably 90% as good as the one you want, but we can teach you how to buy it for $10-$20k. Basically that is what this board is all about. We learn and teach how to buy mobile homes at sub-wholesale prices. Don’t cripple your future with the burden of such high debt and monthly payments as you were planning to do.

OK, Ok, now just how do you do this? Well you buy a few books and read this board a lot. Get a copy of Deals On Wheels (Lonnie Scruggs), and The Richest Man In Babylon (George S. Clason). The first is available here for about $30, and you can get the second in any bookstore of borrow it FREE from most libraries.

Ok, now, along this same line of reasoning, i.e, to reduce your living expenses to a minimum, so you can save up that seed money, I will try to sneek in my post on about how to get a nice place to live for only $30 per month, including all utilities. You should be able to do it almost anywhere in North America, if you just work at it a little. I feel that this post really IS related to mobile home investing because it illustrates how a creative individuals can learn to control living costs to the Nth degree, thereby enabling one to save up investment seed money, even on the skimpiest of budgets. I believe I could teach a welfare family how to become millionaires in 20 years by starting with just their welfare income. Read The Richest Man In Babylon, and see how much money you can REALLY save each month, for that first Lonnie deal.

Ok, here’s the skinny. You buy an older but VERY CLEAN 33 foot motor home($10k-$20k), and buy a used RV Resort membership. You can buy such a membership in my area for about $350. I know because the first RV park I visited offered me one at this price. You will pay a one time fee of about $400+ to transfer this membership to your name. You will pay an annual fee of about $350-$375 for membership dues. That is only about ONE DOLLAR per day, or $30 per month. Your membership gives you FREE electricity, water, sewer connection and garbage service. You don’t need gas because you will go all electric since electrictiy if free. Yes, you will have to move it to another park about every two weeks. You should have FREE reciprocal right to many other parks when you buy the right memberships. You can just move back and forth from one park to the other once every two weeks. You could also be a little more adventerous and see the whole country. Remember your investment income will eventually set you free to travel far and wide, as you look for deals and live on AFTER TAX money. Yeah, you can even deduct your food costs if you are traveling to look for more deals. :~). In my area you can stay FREE, in most Wal MART parking lots (without hookups) for several days at a time. They even send a hostest around in the morning with free coffee.

If you find this life style difficult in the north because of snow and cold, then for goodness sake MOVE. you aren’t a tree. You aren’t anchored to the ground by roots.

I don’t say you have to live this way for ever. You won’t have to because you will be quickly able to save up seed money to start investing in mobile homes and rental properties.

Some sacrifice is needed at first.

It is much harder to live poor than to get rich. Anyone can get rich slowly. Most can do so much faster. I have done it, and hundreds of other writers on this board have done it, and so can YOU, Anneise.

Do you love your family enough to make some sacrifices NOW so that you and your husband and son can all live in luxury later?

If you do NOW, for 5 years, what other people are UNWILLING to do, you will be able to live the rest of your life doing what other’s CANNOT do.

We on this board would be happy to hold your hand, and guide you along the long and arduous path that we have followed to get where we are today. We know the way well, some of us, like myself. have traveled it several times. I’ve taken my lumps along with the best of them. I’ve gone broke a couple of times, BUT, I’ve never forgotten the path to wealth. I’ve had the BURNING DESIRE to be rich, and the willingness to do the hard work to get there, ever since I was a teenager. You can slip up and lose what your money but they can never take your knowledge away from you. Once you know HOW to acquire the wealth that you desire you can always do it again if need be.

That is what this website is all about. We learn and teach about the accumulation of wealth. We believe that investing in mobile homes is one of the best ways to achieve our objectives.

Any questions?

Regards, doc

Re: First… - Posted by jp

Posted by jp on September 26, 2003 at 10:12:29:

I hope you don’t mind if I comment here. I’m sure Doc will give you some sound advice.
First let me say that your honesty is admirable and that your story is truly touching. Life sometimes deals people a tough hand and it is beyond our control. Most times, however, we are in control even if we don’t know it yet. It sounds like you have made up your mind to take control of your lives and that is an excellent first step. If you are genuinely determined to turn your lives around then you will succeed if you persevere.
Only my opinion, but it sounds like you may be placing a littly too much emphasis on buying this home. This home, while it might be everything you ever wanted from a home, is probably not going to bring the happiness you are after. Based on your situation, I think it would benefit you greatly to try to be happy with less. Society has brain-washed us into believing that we have to have a beautiful home “with lots of extras” to be happy, as well as a 100% financed brand new car. In reality we can easily be happy with much less. If you looked back 100 years in history, there are a lot of people who would have been extremely happy with a typical Lonnie trailer (kind of dumpy and costs $2000-$4000). Is it the best by today’s standards? No way! But why do we have to judge ourselves by todays standards? If you really want a head-start to success and financial freedom, it might serve you well to seek out a home that you can EASILY afford and save the rest of your money to pay debts and to invest with. If I can borrow a line from Doc:
“You must spend the next 5 years of your life doing things that others are unwilling to do, so that you can spend the rest of your life doing the things that others are unable to do.” (Sorry if I misquoted you.)
The bottom line is that you need to make some sacrifices NOW if you are really going to turn yourselves around. Read as many books on real estate and mobiles as you can and try to acquire a very cheap mobile home, possibly already on a piece of land. Sure, it won’t be nearly as nice as the one you have your eye on, but will it provide you with the necessity of shelter? Absolutely. And that is all you really need at this point.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

jp

P.S. My email is bogus so don’t try to send anything to me.

RV living - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 26, 2003 at 17:24:56:

Good post Doc. My folks and thousands like them, live in RV’s. It IS a cheap way to live. In fact many of these parks had to limit how long folks stayed because everyone was just living there.
Philip

Good Post Doc! As Tony says When the student - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on September 26, 2003 at 13:32:30:

Is ready the teacher will appear. I am not sure she got the well delivered message though. Hearing her speak of purchasing a 90k doublewide on a rented lot just freaked me out. I hope she hears good sense I get so many renters who have just gave back that dream home that turns into a nightmare once they realize how long they will pay on that mobile home with no land. They always talk of later buying land to put it on not realizing they will be strapped for many many years with payments and lot rent. These type of deals ruin many a family I believe. Take Care Nice Post. ScottS(NC)

There is a way out for you but you don’t see it. - Posted by Anneise

Posted by Anneise on September 26, 2003 at 11:38:31:

Dr. Whisler, thanks so much for this message. Thank you for not holding back and letting me know that the house the I want seems to be out of my range. Yes we are ready to make the sacrafice to get where we deserve to be in life. I will go to the Library this weekend for the book. Now, my first sacrafice will be spending the 30 bucks for the other book. We stay in a motel room now and purchasing the book will be a sacrifice. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do that this week. But I will check to see if the library has both books. Hopefully they will. In the meantime, I do have a question: What is your advise on obtaining housing now? I will print up your message and take it back to the room tonight to share with my husband. In the meantime we need some guidance on making something happen now so that we can start the process. Paying for a room everynight sort of makes it hard to begin. I’m still looking at options. Let me know if you have any. Thanks so much.

Anneise

RE: First - Posted by AR

Posted by AR on September 26, 2003 at 11:12:49:

Thanks for you opinion. I will take what you said in consideration. I read the book too and this is a part of my plan. I undertand what your saying about finding something less expensive but this home would be a lot less that I’m paying to rent out a 2BR apartment as is. I am still looking for a home. It doesn’t need to be that one (although I would love for it to be). My family just needs to find a home. I will continue to search ads but this one is avaialbe now and the sellers seem to be very sincere about working with me. Thanks for the advice. Take care

When the student is ready, the teacher will… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 26, 2003 at 13:46:56:

…appear. Its one of my favorite quotes too, and its soooo true.

I believe it is originally from Hilel.

Re: There is a way out - Posted by Roxann

Posted by Roxann on September 28, 2003 at 17:06:01:

Anneise, good luck and good planning to you.

I’d like to offer you a few ideas about living inexpensively and not feeling like you are doing without. I live in the central valley of California and produce is plentiful. I can buy 3 bags of fresh fruits and veggies for about $5.00 and this lasts me a whole week. Fresh, beautiful, ripe fruit can brighten any hard day you may have on your wealth-building journey.

I rent out a master bedroom for $200 a month. I like doc’s idea of an RV resort membership!

And who doesn’t feel like a millionaire at the dollar store? Before Walmart, I think they were called dime stores ahh…good ol’ inflation! : D

Take care, Rox

Uh oh, there goes your pride… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 26, 2003 at 13:21:54:

…it travels first class and YOU have to pay its fare.

Do you have family or friends who would be willing to share their home with you until you get on your feet? If so I would advise doing that. If not, I would suggest trying to rent a room in someone’s home. Try to find a master bedroom if possible. It would be cheaper than a motel. Ask every church in town to assist you to get a place to rent cheap. Get free food from every agency and church in town. NO more fast food. It eats up you money faster than you eat it up. You absolutely MUST get IMMEDIATE control of your cost of living as well as your income.

Either you get ruthless with cost cutting or life will get ruthless with you AND FORCE YOU TO CUT COSTS ANYWAY. Better for YOU to be in control, than the happenstances of life.

If you live in a warm climate get an old van and camp out in it and save your money for something more worthwhile, like your family’s future.

I read once, in Forbes magzine, something that went like this:

PRIDE IS THE CAUSE OF ALL GREAT MISTAKES.

I’ve searched for over 30 years in my own life and cannot find a single exception to this rule, can you?

Anneise, check you monthly expenditures and eliminate the ones for pride and you will already be on your way to success. Either you or your husband could get a night job. Every large commericial building in this country needs a night janitor. I worked as janitor myself, when starting out. I washed windows, moped and waxed floors, and got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed toilets with my bare hands.

I couldn’t afford much pride then, but I sure can now.

What I am more proud of now, than any other thing in my life, is that I scrubbed those toilets, and earned my own way in life.

I had that BURNING DESIRE to become rich, and was willing to pay whatever price it took. I discovered a little paperback book called “Think And Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill. I was so impressed with Dr. Hill’s words that I later sought out and found an opporuunity to study under one of Napoleon’s former business partners, Floyd M. Edwards.

God does not favor some people with opportunities that he doesn’t first offer to you. Sometimes we just don’t hear him when he knocks because we are sitting in front of a loud T.V. drinking beer and eating $25 pizzas, in a haze of of smoke from 15 cent each, cigarettes.

One of you could work days while the other one cares for the baby and then at night you could reverse the proceedure so the other one could work too.

You either increase your income or reduce your expenses. If you have that BURNING DESIRE that I spoke of, you will do both, for as long as it takes.

Eliminate phone calls and greeting cards and Christmas gifts. Buy your clothes and EVERYTHING else at thrift stores and garage sales, like I STILL do. Learn to cut you husband’s and baby’s hair. Use a free computer at night school or your public library.

Don’t eliminate your tithe. If you have only 50 cents today, run down to your nearest place of worship and give the Lord his 5 cents. If you honor your obligation to him he wil honor his promises to you. Understand CLEARLY about the miracle of reaping, 30, 60, or 100 times what you sow. Is THAT an investment or what? There is NO better investment in the world and just look, WHO, guarantees it, Anneise,

The Richest Man In Babylon should be your FIRST book, then Lonnie’s Deals on Wheels, then Hill’s book.

Did you know that Napoleon Hill’s book has sold more copies than any other book in history except the Holy Bible. There are good reasons for both books to occupy the two highest positions of honor. Its because God WANTS you, and he wants you to prosper.

Keep asking questions Anneise, we are still here for you.

Regards, doc