GRM - Posted by danny teodorescu

Posted by Frank Chin on September 05, 2003 at 07:49:41:

Joe:

I left something out, but its not the interest rate, its the down payment

The GRM of 6 is based on a down payment of 20%. I was an active buyer of 3 family properties when the interest rate was 10%. No longer, as those properties in good areas no longer cash flow.

In doing the analysis, I take into account:

1. Interest of 10% at the time.
  2. Expenses: PITI, heat, utilities, maintenance 35% on the RR
  3. Vacancies 10% of RR
  4. Down payment of 20%

So for a 180K property, 30K/year RR

Interest…$14,400 (10% of 144K mortgage)
Expenses…$10,500 (35% of $30,000)
Vacancy…$3,000 (10% of $30,000)

Total: 27,900

Note: There is a slight positive cash flow - but don’t forget principal amortization.

I developed these ratios after looking at a dozen properties, as the ratio of expenses to rent roll for a particular type property tends to be quite constant.

After the first dozen, I use the GRM to screen so I don’t have to do a spreadsheet while I’m on the phone. Of course, one gets the actual numbers after property inspection, and take into account other factors such as the condition of the building.

But the GRM gives me a good initial indication whether it will cash flow.

As an update, at 6% interest rate, GRM’s for such properties now exceed 15 in good areas. At this level, they don’t cash flow.

Frank Chin

GRM - Posted by danny teodorescu

Posted by danny teodorescu on August 31, 2003 at 21:07:56:

what is “gross rent mulitplier” how is it determined and how does one “use” it? Thanks Again for all the help and patience!

Note answer to Joe - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on September 05, 2003 at 07:51:58:

Dan:

Got you message. Note my answer to Joe below.

Frank Chin

Re: GRM - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on September 01, 2003 at 08:11:31:

Danny:

When I was an active buyer of a particular type of 3 family houses in an area, I used the the GRM.

At the time, the GRM must be less than 6.00 for the property to cash flow. So, when I’m on the phone with a realtor or owner, and the asking price is 180K, I would then ask, what is the monthly rent?? If the answer is $2,500/month, I know is 30K a year (2,500 x 12). The GRM in this case is 6.0 (180K/30K), and I know it will break even. Any price lower than 180K, I will cash flow, and I can make a preliminary offer, such as I can offer 160K.

This way, I don’t have to run numbers on a spreadsheet to see if I should see the place or not, as I can calulate the GRM while I’m on the phone.

Frank Chin

Re: GRM - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on August 31, 2003 at 22:51:25:

If you switch over to the Commercial REI group to do a search, you will find in-depth discussion and explanation. They do a good job of explaining the way to utilize this tool on that board.

Definition - Posted by Robert TX

Posted by Robert TX on August 31, 2003 at 22:46:49:

Gross Rent Multiplier (GRM) - The relationship or ratio between the sale price or value of a property and its gross rental income.

Effective Gross Rent Multiplier (EGIM) - The ratio between the sale price (or value) of a proeprty and its effective gross income; a single year’s EGI (Effective Gross Income) expectancy or an annual average of several years’ EGI expectancies (EGIM=V/EGI where V is value and EGI is effective gross income.

Potential Gross Income Multiplier (PGIM) - The ratio between the sale price of a property and its potential gross income (PGIM = V/PGI).

All definition are taken from “The Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal, Third Edition”, copyright 1993, Appraisal Insitute.

Hope this helps.

Intereste rate needs to be factored in - Posted by JoeMD

Posted by JoeMD on September 02, 2003 at 14:26:43:

Frank,

Unless you pay by cash, interest rate for loan/mortgage would be a factor, which does not seem to be reflected in your formula.