Group suing county over deed backlog - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on August 15, 2003 at 24:58:52:

Looks like they moved the article. Go to the Star Ledger’s website and look in their Essex county section.

I now take my deeds down personally and have them stamped ‘received’ instead. My title company (and probably any title co. you or your attorney work with) should accept this. It also helps if your buyer (if you’re selling quickly as in a flip) uses your title company.

Group suing county over deed backlog - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on August 13, 2003 at 09:49:17:

Those NJ Investors working in Essex and Bergen counties know, far too well, the headaches experienced recently when trying to get a deed recorded over the counter. Recently, I went to record a purchase and sale contract over the counter in Essex county. Walked in and there were big signs everywhere notifying customers that no documents would be recorded over the counter. And perfect timing. This notice came ON THE SAME DAY their fees damm near doubled (increase the price but decrease the service - only Essex county can run a business like this and think there’s nothing wrong with it).

One thing the article mentions and I found to be effective was to record a notice of settlement instead of a P&S Contract if you’re looking to protect your position in a deal. As far as I know all counties in NJ are recording these over the counter.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1060752878284190.xml

Re: Group suing county over deed backlog - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on August 13, 2003 at 23:17:26:

That link only sent me to some zip code input screen. It seems extraordinary to me that a County recorder would prohibit over the counter recordings. Is the only option to mail in documents?