Handicap improvements already... - Posted by John P TX

Posted by GL - ON on July 30, 2003 at 23:33:44:

If it makes you feel any better, I got that joke from a quadraplegic ( no kidding).

Handicap improvements already… - Posted by John P TX

Posted by John P TX on July 30, 2003 at 09:51:52:

I’m going to make an offer on a house today… seller occupied. asking existing note +2000 (54,000) looking for new house. Estimated mkt value according to comps = 68,500
The house is already handicap accesable w/ ramps etc. should I give this consideration?
-John

Re: Handicap improvements already… - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on July 30, 2003 at 22:22:15:

Call your local housing authority and ask them how many people they have on their list waiting for accessible housing. I think you will find a real market for this home if it is truely accessible. People with disabilities generally make for very stable tenants if that is your end strategy. Not having a large number of options people with disabilities are usually very long tern renters.

By the way, GL’s comment was in extremely poor taste. Just my observation as a person with disabilities.

HTH

Re: Handicap improvements already… - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 30, 2003 at 10:32:12:

If you were a real “shark” you would discount the price by enough to pay for removing the additions, on the grounds that no one will want them and you have to remove them to make the place saleable.

Then advertise the place as “wheelchair accessible” or “specially equipped for the disabled” and charge a premium price or premium rent.

Another good thing about renting to the handicapped… if they run off in the middle of the night, how far could they get? (bad joke)