Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by JPiper on January 28, 1999 at 01:34:03:

Just in case my post wasn’t exactly clear, I spend significant time on the telephone…I don’t just knock on doors unless it’s a foreclosure.

JPiper

Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by Joe(IN) on January 27, 1999 at 09:02:13:

Thanks for the marvelous article “How to handle telephone calls”.

Question #1 Can you (or anyone) give us a tried and true greeting which you put on your voice mail to encourage the best response from your callers?

Question #2 I would really enjoy reading the ads you run which really bring in the deals.

Thank you
Joe

Re: Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 27, 1999 at 14:32:46:

Hi Joe:

My view is that there are no magic bullets. With that said here?s the answers:

#1 My voice mail is set up in two tiers. The first tier has a general greeting, and then directs the caller to either a voice mail box for myself, my wife, or a mailbox for callers on ads. My ?ad box? is very general. It says something like ?Thanks for calling on the ad. We?re not available to take your call, but if you?ll leave your name and number we?ll get back with you quickly.? This ?ad box? receives the calls on all ads that I run?.it?s not specific to any one ad.

#2 I typically DON?T run ads to buy houses. I?ve done it, and I do it periodically. But my preference is to find deals in other ways. When I do run an ad I run TOP $$$ ANY CONDITION QUICK CLOSE CALL XXXX. These are in separate lines in the real estate wanted section. The ads I run to sell houses run the gamut depending on what the situation is.

Just a general comment. People sometimes ask me about things like brochures, flyers, business cards, phone systems, ads, direct mail etc. etc. These are tools that some people use effectively, and spend a lot of time on and money on. This has not been my method. By the way, I?m not saying my method is preferably over any other method, it?s just the way I have done things. My method has been to use the telephone extensively, coupled with in-person meetings. This is something that works for me, and that I can implement because I do this full-time.

Here are some things that run through my mind when I think about marketing. I wonder why a motivated seller is going to discover the real estate wanted section of the paper, a section located in the back of the for sale ads in my paper. I wonder if brochures or fancy business cards promote a ?slick? image, an image to be wary of. I wonder how many people pitch a mailing piece without having read it, but who still have a doable deal.

I view myself as a dealmaker. I don?t sit back waiting for someone to call me, or waiting for them to respond to a mailing piece. I actively try to create a deal that I generate. I also view this as a people business. As such, I think my interaction with people makes a difference in whether a deal takes place. I?ve always kept things pretty simple, non-threatening. Since I make my living in this business I can?t imagine counting on people responding to mail or calling on an ad in the real estate wanted section to bring in the lunch money. I believe in a more active type of approach.

JPiper

Generation of prospects, JPiper - Posted by Johnman

Posted by Johnman on January 27, 1999 at 18:01:42:

JPiper,

I agree with you on it is a people business. You can do what you do because it’s your full time job. What would you suggest we part timers should use to generate “prospect deals”? It is a bit more difficult when you are trying to balance generating insome through REI and earning a living.

For me, my goal is to do REI full time. I have an ad in the paper, I jot down vacant properties-find out who owns them and send them a letter expressing my interest, I even sent letters to property owners that their houses are about to go into foreclosure. I could only do so much during the day (I work the night shift) but I do it. Do you have any suggestions to improve on this?

Thanks,
Johnman

Re: Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by Dino

Posted by Dino on January 27, 1999 at 17:03:47:

Hi Piper,i enjoyed your answer,and respect the fact that you do real estate full time,however,u never tell us how u generate sales if u dont use ads and such,or should i say,rely on ads. How do u work your marketing,is it just by use of signage,and open houses ? Thanks for ur reply in advance,im trying to gather all the knowledge i can .This is the best site ive seen!

Thank You Sir! - Posted by Joe(IN)

Posted by Joe(IN) on January 27, 1999 at 15:50:59:

Sounds like wise words to me.

Joe

Re: Generation of prospects, JPiper - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 28, 1999 at 24:36:31:

I don?t think I would be a good person to advise someone on how to do this parttime. I?ve never done this parttime at any point.

I have to do many of the things that I suspect everyone does. I focus on groups of people who might have reason to be motivated, as an example. But instead of sending a letter, I knock on their door, or phone. If I have located an abandoned house that interests me I will try to locate the owner and then phone first. Later, if I can?t reach by phone I resort to mail. My point is that my first choice is always phone, in person, then mail.

It seems to me that even doing this parttime that you have a certain number of hours available to you. You can use these hours to mail, or you can use them to call on people. Mailing will probably enable you to contact more people. But phoning or knocking on the door will be much more effective. The latter is my preference.

I think spending some time locating groups of people that you have reason to believe might be motivated would serve you well. Some of these groups would be foreclosurers, tired landlords, vacant houses, etc. Then contacting them directly would be my personal suggestion.

And again, there are those who have successfully implemented other types of marketing. So this is just one person?s thoughts.

JPiper

Re: Generation of prospects, JPiper - Posted by CTChap

Posted by CTChap on January 27, 1999 at 19:21:51:

John,

I guess it boils down to how bad you want it…Meaning that if you want something bad enough, you’ll find the time! I too work the night shift, 13 hours a night! But you know what? I’m sick and tired of it! I’m not going to do it much longer!

Even though I work these kind of hours, I still get up at around noon, look through the paper, take a trip through some MH parks, then go to work. Yeah, I may be alittle tired at the end of the day (or the beginning, depending on how you look at it!), but knowing that I’m going to make this work - I still have trouble getting to sleep, because I’m so excited about the opportunities that ARE out there!

I notice you say that you send letters to these people. Try knocking on their door. I’ve done this a few times, and they’re more than happy to tell me all about their situation.

To me, it’s worth losing some sleep over right now, because down the road, I’ll have plenty of free time to catch up on it!

Good luck to you John!

CTChap

Re: Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 28, 1999 at 24:41:52:

If I?m trying to generate the sale of a house, I use ads and signs. I don?t do open houses, nor have I ever.

If I?m trying to generate sellers I concentrate on groups of people that I have reason to believe might be motivated?foreclosures, tired landlords, vacant houses, out-of-town owners, expired listings, etc. In short, any group where I feel there might be a higher than normal probability of being motivated.

I then contact these people by phone or in person. Failing that I will mail, but it?s always my last choice.

JPiper

Re: Handling Phone Calls, JPiper - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on January 27, 1999 at 21:29:03:

Surveys of sales by realtors show that the majority of initial contacts is from a sign in the front yard. I have found the same true when doing a rehab. Neighbor tell their friends at work. Renters stop by and look around. You can put flyers on doors or apartments in the area. You can even have neighborhood garage sales.

Once you find someone with some interest then it becomes the interpersonal skills that take over.

Re: Generation of prospects, JPiper - Posted by Johnman

Posted by Johnman on January 28, 1999 at 01:12:20:

JPiper,

Thanks dude! I will definitely try to contact these prospects in person. I know I will do better face to face.

Wish me luck!
Johnman

Re: Generation of prospects, JPiper - Posted by Johnman

Posted by Johnman on January 27, 1999 at 21:01:15:

CTChap,

I think I will do that. Go visit them. That does sound more effective.

I do have lots of NIBBLES. No bites yet!!! I do get good responses from my ad but a lot of them are just not worth it. I have three “prospects” that I’m working on. Two are fixer uppers and one is a lease/option.

Thanks for the support. I am motivated. I’m just looking for other ways to generate prospects and trying to use my time to the fullest.

Thanks again,
Johnman