Handling Realestate Agents???????? - Posted by Gary O

Posted by Brent_IL on February 26, 2002 at 13:34:06:

I think your approach would alienate your current agent.

IMHO, you should give your agent an outline. List the questions you want answered and a plausible reason for asking. Discuss this with her, and let her talk to the listing agent. The key is your reasoning behind your questions. You don’t what to present as an inexperienced seminar junkie.

Handling Realestate Agents??? - Posted by Gary O

Posted by Gary O on February 26, 2002 at 11:36:43:

I just had a question about Realestate Agents. For instance, how would I go about finding some info on a piece of property that was listed in the MLS with another agent, not the one I’m working with. My understanding is that I want to find out info such as why the owner is seller and will they be able to assist in the financing or what is their current financing (pre screening stuff). Do I write down a list of questions and give them to my agent to ask the other agent, or do I just call the other agent? If I ask my agent to take them to the other agent, I’m afraid that she will not ask all the questions or the proper questions, or will not be able to reply to the other agents questions. As you can see this is a big mess, and I don’t know how to handle it. I think I should just call the other agent and then if I want to pursue the property, THEN, contact my agent. CONFUUUUUSING!!!

New Agent - Posted by CurtNY

Posted by CurtNY on February 26, 2002 at 21:13:19:

Get a new agent, if your agent knows your an investor and your situation (ie: you like to buy handyman specials, owner finance etc…) then he/she should already be asking these questions. My agent (buyers agent) knows what to keep an eye out for and when we look at a property she knows I’m going to make an offer so she investigates as much as possible with the listing agent. And by the way, who cares, just make the offers. I don’t care why a seller is motivated, just that they are. Sure its nice to know why, but its not going to stop me from making the offer. Just my two cents… keep searching you’ll find the right agent!

CurtNY

Re: Handling Realestate Agents??? - Posted by Al-So Cal

Posted by Al-So Cal on February 26, 2002 at 15:16:45:

Tell your agent how youd like to acquire the property and ask her for any additional insights and present an offer and wait for a counter and youre on your
way.
You may need a more sophisticated agent. Don`t tell her
I said so.

Re: Handling Realestate Agents??? - Posted by Steve-DC

Posted by Steve-DC on February 26, 2002 at 15:02:21:

Gary,

If you approach the selling agent, your agent may be unable, by regulation, to take part in the deal. That would probably not make her happy.

Just tell her what information you want, and see what she says is the best way to get it. She may do it herself or she may uncomfortable and tell you to call the selling agent.

If she comes back with the wrong information say, “Sorry, this is not what I was looking for, let me explain better…” and then send her back.

Once she gets to know you better and knows what information you want, she’ll have it for you before you ask…if you maintain the relationship properly.

-Steve