Hard wood floors - Posted by Jay-fl

Posted by Nate on March 23, 2001 at 22:58:22:

The biggest consideration is, what do the other homes in the area have? As an owner or seller of a property, you want your property to “conform” as much as possible to what is prevalent in the comparables.

If this house is in a cookie-cutter subdivision, this should be pretty easy to find out. If it’s not, look in the MLS or ask some agents that sell houses in the area what the other houses have and what their buyers would prefer.

NT

Hard wood floors - Posted by Jay-fl

Posted by Jay-fl on March 23, 2001 at 19:58:29:

I have a house in an upscale area and am considering adding hard wood floors. I will keep it as a rental. I was looking to get some feedback and recommendations on hard wood vs. pergot or should I go with tile. Thanks

Re: Hard wood floors - Posted by Ann (HI)

Posted by Ann (HI) on March 24, 2001 at 21:37:25:

I’ve been using Pergo-type wood laminate floor coverings on all my rehabs for the last two years. It really helps sell the house and is much easier to install than hardwood or tile. The real estate agents go ga-ga over it and will show the house often. And it is really durable and easy to keep up.

Pergo by a mile - Posted by Ward(CA)

Posted by Ward(CA) on March 24, 2001 at 17:16:48:

Jay,

Get the upgraded Pergo for a rental. It’s many more times durable than genuine hardwood and will look fantastic forever. Hardwood requires regular maintenance and is subject to dents from furniture, high heels, marking, etc. Tile also requires maintenance and is subject to cracking, grout repair, etc.

Pop into the Home Depot Expo store if there’s one nearby and make a comparison with all three on durability, maintenance and cost.

Good luck.