Has anyone read any of John Reed's books? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by stan on May 22, 2006 at 23:11:20:

A lot of people are trying to distance themselves from Beck with all the fraud complaints his $12k “mentoring system” has got him in.

Google his name for more info.

stan

Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on May 22, 2006 at 21:16:07:

Has anyone ready John Reed’s books?
He seems to be the self-proclaimed critic of gurus and I’m curious if his stuff is all that good. The L/O book is $30 for 58 pages, that seems steep and wondering if he’s brilliant or just a great marketer.
Thanks for any feedback.
Luke

I know this… - Posted by Tampa Bay Mel

Posted by Tampa Bay Mel on May 24, 2006 at 08:18:30:

When I meet successful REI’s I often ask who they think has the best books, courses and seminars. To date NONE of them have mentioned Reed, and ALL of them have mentioned someone on his “do not recommend” list.

I think he does a great disservice.

I once saw a motivational quote something like…“those who say that it cannot be done should get out of the way of those that are doing it.” Hmmm!

If I had gone to his site too early I would have quit long ago. The only reason that I knew it was BS was because I had already met, personally, many people who were doing what he was saying could not be done. He lists his deals up on his web sites, about 12-15. The people I met were doing 2-3 times that many per year!

Makes me think he must be, to some degree, narrow minded.

For what its worth

Mel

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by IA Jeff

Posted by IA Jeff on May 23, 2006 at 09:54:07:

I have one or two and also subscribed to his newsletter for awhile. I agree with Gerald below…the more experienced investor can appreciate some of his stuff more than a newbie.

I can’t comment on his lease option book though.

Good luck,
Jeff

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by Warner(ATL)

Posted by Warner(ATL) on May 22, 2006 at 22:48:37:

I first bought Reed’s books in something like 1993 or 1994. I have read on this forum over the past decade the anti-Reed comments and the pro-reed comments. Having read virtually every guru’s book and course under the sun, I must say that I would support SOME of his message regarding how to invest in real estate. Some of his techniques on how to buy 20% below market including; partial interests, tenant-in-common, etc. is years ahead of its time. Most investors especially newbies will not dive deep enough into some of his recommendations to understand the true value of what he is providing. At the same time, some of it is crap, but overall a worthwhile investment to get a different perspective.

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by gerald(tx)

Posted by gerald(tx) on May 22, 2006 at 22:16:16:

It largely depends on how much experience one has. The newbies hate him, the veterans respect him.

His problem is he is not a demogogue. Instead of telling people what they want to hear, he tells them what they need to hear.

People don’t like that. Particularly when they have deified their favorite guru.

With a bunch of years in the RE game, I recommend his material as very sound and realistic. The anti-Reed crowd will disagree, of course.

gerald

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by dutch

Posted by dutch on May 22, 2006 at 21:23:27:

My opinion, worth the price you just paid:

His stuff is mostly crap. His advice on how to buy property? “Put 20% down”.

Now, send me 1/2 of what I just saved you.

There are some good L/O courses. Get Bronchick’s, here or at legalwiz.com

Dutch
OKHomesavers

Quiz: - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on May 24, 2006 at 19:12:39:

Q: How many SFH deals has Reed done? A deal is not one’s residence, btw.

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on May 22, 2006 at 22:40:14:

Thanks Gerald. I’m ordering his book based soley on your post. I’ll make a decision after I read it.
I’m trying to accept “negative” writing more because I know it’s helpful just like positive “you-can-do-it” writing is, it’s just another writing style.
Thanks,
Luke

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on May 23, 2006 at 16:59:33:

Dutch. Interesting comments on his books. What do you think of his Guru ratings?

Posted by Luke Hoppel on May 22, 2006 at 21:46:10:

Well I haven’t purchased it yet. I was trying to decide on buying or not.
So which of his books have you personally read?
Why were his books crap besides the one point you mentioned.
Thanks for the L/O suggestion. I was also considering Wendy Pattons. I’m in the middle of reading her book and I like her style.
Thanks Dutch,
Luke

Posted by dutch on May 22, 2006 at 23:36:32:

If I have his book that you want, I’ll sell it to you for 1/2 of what he’s getting. I would love to get it off my shelf and recoup some of my loss. Let me know which one you want and I’ll see if its the one I have.

Dutch
OKHomesavers

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by John

Posted by John on May 23, 2006 at 01:02:01:

Learn for free from, flippinginfo.com lots of good info and FREE.

Posted by dutch on May 22, 2006 at 23:34:16:

Yes, I have a couple of them. I’m not at home so I can’t tell you the titles. But for $20 you can have them. It’s crap IMHO.

Dutch
OKHomesavers

Re: Has anyone read any of John Reed’s books? - Posted by Eric (MI)

Posted by Eric (MI) on May 22, 2006 at 22:12:32:

I haven’t read his stuff either but just something I noticed that is completely irrelevant to what you asked is that he puts down John Beck (based on his infomertial btw) but at the same time John Beck recommends John Reed. I happened to go to John Becks website after a late night commercial the other day and noticed it.

Posted by Luke Hoppel on May 22, 2006 at 23:46:54:

Yeah, I would be interested in buying one or so from you.
I’m interested in quite a few of them. Which ones do you have?
I assume you wouldn’t have that many to list.
Let me know,
Luke