Have Duplex but only 1 house shows on Tax Records - Posted by Richard C

Posted by Richard C on October 30, 2010 at 19:05:35:

Hi Rick,

Well, it’s been over a year and i’ve procrastinated too much. Last year, I did go down and take a brief look at the ancient microfiche but didn’t print it out. I didn’t really understand what I was looking at.

But, I will need to do get copies of everything in the next few weeks and will post back.

Many Thanks, Ricard C

Have Duplex but only 1 house shows on Tax Records - Posted by Richard C

Posted by Richard C on August 17, 2009 at 21:07:23:

Hi all,

I took a Property Profile on my property but it only
shows 1 address and not the address of the second property on a R-2 Lot.

I suspect I was screwed by the Seller/Contractor/Agent ( > 10 years ago ) who did NOT record the second property ( had a building permit ).

So, what can I do to try and rectify this situation ?

If I contact the local building dept what will happen ?
Especially if the Building is NOT to code.

I want be able to sell the property like this ?

I would greatly appreciate advice from the kind folks on this forum ! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Richard C

Before you panic… - Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy

Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy on August 17, 2009 at 23:50:58:

Just go down to the building department and ask to see all records and permits concerning “this property.” Don’t make comments, don’t identify yourself, and don’t hyperventilate in front of the clerk (take a brown paper bag with you just in case that happens, or worse!).

Just ask the clerk what records and info s/he can tell you about the property. After all, you could be a prospective buyer, developer, indoor pot-grower, or just about any other person who asks questions regarding public records.

Don’t complain or explain, but do refrain from flirting with Lorraine.

Remember: loose lips sink watercraft (or something like that).

Get copies of anything interesting.

Next, download or access the current building code. Reconcile any differences between what you have and what’s to code.

You may very well have a situation that can be grandfathered. Sometimes just the fees and permits have to be paid, although that may not be cheap.

Don’t get too excited just yet. Title profiles, especially of the free variety, are often worth about what you paid for it.

We’ll let you know if and when to get excited, but not just yet.

Re: Before you panic… - Posted by Richard C

Posted by Richard C on August 18, 2009 at 19:28:07:

Hi Rick,

Thanks, for the encouraging reply.

I will visit and get the current info and make copies
and report back soon.

Many Thanks, Richard C