Health Insurance For Self Employed - Posted by Dee

Posted by Dee on February 06, 2002 at 20:14:11:

What kind of health insurance did you end up with?

Health Insurance For Self Employed - Posted by Dee

Posted by Dee on January 31, 2002 at 21:28:21:

Has anyone ever had health insurance through Mega Health & Life?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Re: Health Insurance For Self Employed - Posted by Gladys_IL

Posted by Gladys_IL on February 08, 2002 at 09:18:37:

Hi Dee,

I’m an independent agent in IL.
Check out Blue Cross/Blue Shield also Fortis Insurance.
You can go to http://www.bcbsmi.com to find agent or info yourself.
Also go directly to http://fortis.com to check it out and see what fits your needs.

Hope this helps.

Gladys

Re: Health Insurance For Self Employed - Posted by Ken P.

Posted by Ken P. on February 04, 2002 at 17:41:08:

Yes we had Mega and just switched away from it. When you REALLY read the benefits they are terrible. For example, the wellness rider provides for routine exams and immunizations for children - but only up to a MAXIMUM of $100 per year! This is absurd! Also, the regular coverage only allows you to see the doctor once per calendar quarter. Again, absurd.

I talked to several reputable agents and they pretty much verified what we found. Mega was put together by a bunch of investors who wanted to create an insurance product that would pay out REALLY high commissions for its agents (the agents get a HUGE portion of your payments) and give them a huge return on their money in a few years. The products themselves are NOT designed to be good for the customer, but the agents are brainwashed into believing they are and then trying to sell you on that fact. And boy do they do a good job of it. We learned the hard way that you MUST read the fine print during the three-day cancellation period. It’s a pain but it’s worth it.

This is just my experience but it is quite true.

All the best,

Ken P.

Re: Health Insurance For Self Employed - Posted by Michigan Andy

Posted by Michigan Andy on February 01, 2002 at 07:36:26:

Dee-
Ours just started on January 6th. Too soon to tell, as we have not had to use it yet. The wife, however, is harping on me as I type this to make a doctor’s appointment.

Good luck.
Andy