Posted by BankRobber on April 10, 1999 at 22:04:06:

Man . . . - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on April 08, 1999 at 20:02:58:

You are an animal!

Joe

Re: Man . . . - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on April 08, 1999 at 20:11:13:

LOL!

I did this stuff for a living and enjoyed it 15 years ago and my only degree is in Comp Sci … so the tech stuff isn’t far from the rest of my grey matter … I just realized that there is more to life and moved on … but I can’t hide it the tech stuff still has a place in my heart:)

HankM

BTW… I’ll take “Animal” as a compliment:)

Re: Man . . . - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on April 09, 1999 at 11:35:06:

dude - you’re nuts … I agree.

RAID boxes on your personal stuff? Wild. What brand RAID are you using and how much did it run you? Curious. We run Baydel RAID’s here (32 and 64 gb) … used to use BoxHill. All very expensive.

RL

Posted by HankM on April 09, 1999 at 11:57:30:

It’s not as insane as it seems, my “personal” stuff is a 5 node network at home, the server running Linux (2.2 Kernel) has RAID support; its a small system Level 1 as you know is full disk mirroring so I’ve got two 9GB SCSI drives. The system is small. But all the machines store data on the box so the backups are easy, though once a week I backup all the workstations through the server.

Why do I have 5 machines at home? … well, I can’t throw out the old ones and running Linux on the old slow ones (2 of them are Pentum 90s) make them almost useable again. Then of course, the kids need one. Then there is the laptop, so I just sort of accumulated them over time. By networking them, all the machines get to the internet over one modem (DSL is in my future) and the backup is centralized so it gets done.

Technology is only a means to an end, but I do have fun with it, it’s kinda theraputic.

Hank

Re: Man . . . - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 11, 1999 at 10:48:26:

three in my bedroom, and three in the basement. Networked with NT… GEEKS R US !!! LOL

I have an HP scanner, do you find that scanning documents would warrant an auto document feeder? I haven’t taken the time to archive docs to CD… But I would like to ! Would you archive Deeds, insurance, everything? And file by year/ by house?

thanks !

Laure :slight_smile:

Welcome to my hell. - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on April 09, 1999 at 16:13:21:

OKay I have a 5 node network up as well.
But imagine not having the skills to maintain a system like this…

Yesterday I called my brother in a panic:

“Ken, I can’t get &$^%#%&$% Loan Monster (I name my machines) to talk to &%##$^&& Shleppy (Shleppy the Shleptop) so that I can redo a file. In fact I can’t even get (^%^(*&^&^ Shleppy to talk to Printer 3! I have been trying to get this file for over an hour!”

He responds “Why not just put the file on a floppy and walk it the 5 feet over to the other machine?”

I respond “ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!”

Technology rocks, I embrace it, I love it. But lets not pretend it’s therapeutic.

karp

Posted by HankM on April 11, 1999 at 11:05:53:

I use NT at work … and I must say my network at home is more reliable … NT I measure uptime in weeks, my Linux network, I don’t measure because It’s never crashed so it only goes down when I take it down for some reason.

With respect to scanning, I scan about everything and I like the paperport, I don’t use it for high end graphic arts stuff so I prefer it to a flatbed … stick the paper in and it zooms through. Bank statements, credit card statements, tax stuff, property stuff … it’s filed chronologically in logical folders “Taxes”, “Property XXXX”, Bank XX … etc.

Hank

Re: Welcome to my hell. - Posted by HankM

Posted by HankM on April 09, 1999 at 20:41:01:

I feel your pain … LOL!

I was amplifying my earlier posts … my background professionally before banking and RE, and my education, and my “hobby” interests are all in technology … so I say it’s theraputic only because I not only have the skills, but the apptitued and the “nerdishness” to enjoy it …

BTW I have a small tech consulting practice “Nerds that Know Business” … so if you need help with your “Loan Monster and Printer Number 3” just let me know … and where to send the bill:) …

Hank

I feel your pain . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on April 10, 1999 at 01:35:21:

I have a laptop that never leaves my lazyboy lounger. Of course, in order to use it, I have to have my server running so I can access my work, and then to access my researchers work (they have their own laptops and upload to my docking station) I have to have that docking station running as well.

So now, just to jot down a quick note from my workstation (the lazyboy), I need three computers to be up and running. Totally nuts.

Joe

PS. The server has 3 monitors hooked up to it as well . . . does that mean anything?

more - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 11, 1999 at 10:53:01:

Hey, I have controls on my skylight windows to open, and close, and for my drapes… from my laptop ! Also, working on a camera at the front door so I can see visitors before they approach from my bedroom computer. (or watch the kids sneak out at night!) hehehe

Laure :slight_smile: